PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fireplace nat Gas

madman
01-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Ive had quite some troubles with hOme Furnace and Fireplace this winter, We have quite a cold snap, Ice Storms,,,My fireplace set of the co 2 detector 9lucky we even had one) Anyhow I fixed it with some hi heat silicone, The door waroed (the blower motor went blew so to speak0 and the resulting heat warped the front door of the Fireplace resulting in aldehides to escape into the room) I replaced the blower resulting in cooler running unit no more door warp no co 2 detector going of. SO,, the point is Is there any type of small nat gas heaters that can be used to replace a fireplace insert? I am not too impressed with its 62 percent efficiency rating. Suggestions guys would be appreciated. Thanx Mike

wmgeorge
01-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Ive had quite some troubles with hOme Furnace and Fireplace this winter, We have quite a cold snap, Ice Storms,,,My fireplace set of the co 2 detector 9lucky we even had one) Anyhow I fixed it with some hi heat silicone, The door waroed (the blower motor went blew so to speak0 and the resulting heat warped the front door of the Fireplace resulting in aldehides to escape into the room) I replaced the blower resulting in cooler running unit no more door warp no co 2 detector going of. SO,, the point is Is there any type of small nat gas heaters that can be used to replace a fireplace insert? I am not too impressed with its 62 percent efficiency rating. Suggestions guys would be appreciated. Thanx Mike

No gas fireplace insert will give you the efficiency of a modern gas fired 93-96% furnace. Your gas insert burner must be really out of adjustment and/or the vent is restricted to set your CO detector off.

You do not give your location so I don't know if they are legal or not in your area. But gas fired radiant heaters requiring no venting are good for a back up heater when the main power is off. They come with CO detectors installed that shut off the unit in case of a malfunction. They are not legal or safe to put in a sleeping area or totally enclosed room that has no air movement. Those are my suggestions.

lakeside53
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
+1

Non-vented gas FP also fill the room with water vapor.

I put an 6 hour UPS on my wood burning FP blower so it could not overheat when the power goes out (also let's me be lazy about starting the generator). A "modern" gas FP should have thermal switches to stop overheat.

madman
01-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Ontario Toronto area, Fireplace works well but runs non stop. This doesnt seem normal to me. Perhaps a different heat er type would be better?

wmgeorge
01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Ontario Toronto area, Fireplace works well but runs non stop. This doesnt seem normal to me. Perhaps a different heat er type would be better?
See my post above. The radient gas heater I suggested BTW is a new modern one with the CO detector installed which shuts the unit off if problems occur.

madman
01-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Oops thanx George

madman
01-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Nice heater for a garage but this is for inside my home george. Anyhow im looking for a hi efficiency fireplace but apparently no one makes one yet. usually I can never find what I want . Thanx

wmgeorge
01-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Nice heater for a garage but this is for inside my home george. Anyhow im looking for a hi efficiency fireplace but apparently no one makes one yet. usually I can never find what I want . Thanx

Doing a Google search I found a lot of ventless gas heaters, for home use, here is just one on Amazon >

http://www.amazon.com/ProCom-Dual-Fuel-Stove-QD250T/dp/B001D5JU9I/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1389015989&sr=1-2&keywords=gas+ventless+heater

But they are not sold, at least this one in Canada.

michigan doug
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
You might be better served with a direct vent nat. gas "fireplace". It looks pretty, you can see the fire. But it's not really a fireplace, in the sense that you can't open the "door". It's a sealed combustion unit and can be operated with a thermostat.

They make them from pretty small, to ginormous, like so:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Direct-Vent-Fireplace-Fuel/dp/B003ZKOCJC

They have these in canada. Any fireplace store can show you several models. Efficiency can be around 80%.

They have the usual nat. gas redundant safety controls, and very little worries about carbon monoxide, since it is sealed combustion.

doug

madman
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
HOLY **** & Grand wowsers too rich for my blood,. thanx though.