PDA

View Full Version : lathe chuck question

bmw625
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
my lathe has d1-4 spindle mount, came with a 6 inch chuck. I see there are 8 inch chucks with d1-4 mounts, but the center hole is larger. other than the through hole being bigger than the spindle hole, is there any reason I couldn't use the bigger size chuck if desired ?

bmw

dian
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
"the through hole being bigger than the spindle hole" is good. however a nice 8" chuck will cost you more than the lathe you got (probably).

rebel54
01-04-2014, 02:16 PM
No reason you can not use bigger chuck other then the extra weight on the head bearings and the jaws hitting the carriage when you open the chuck up to put something big.

Mike Burdick
01-04-2014, 02:45 PM
As long a the hole in the chuck is larger than the spindle's thru hole I see no advantage. A larger chuck simply means one can hold larger objects. You didn't say if the chuck was a three jaw self centering chuck or a four jaw independent chuck. If you are talking about getting larger four jaw independent chuck, I'd say go for it.

To be honest with you, I prefer using a four jaw independent chuck and very seldom use the three jaw self centering chuck. So if you want to invest your money in a four jaw independent chuck I'd say get the best you can afford.

Edwin Dirnbeck
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
A bigger hole is better ,example say you are making a part that is 2 1/4 dia.x 6 inches long that needs to be turned on both ends.Your larger chuck will swallow the first end like chocking up on a baseball bat and holding it more firmly.You didnt say what lathe that you had but lets assume it is a popular 1340 size ,I dont think you will regret getting. the 8 inch.Just my opinion but I have been making a very good living running lathes since 1956 and by the way I am still learning.Edwin

TOOLZNTHINGS
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I use a " adjust true " eight inch D1-4 chuck on my Clausing 1300 with no problems. Greater chucking capacity and you can true it .A 4 Jaw is also a good choice. Obey max RPM ranges on all and larger chucks.

RussZHC
01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I found that I could actually fit larger work with a 6" than with an 8" but it was close.

AFAIK its a combination of things, in my case if I would have opened the 8" to fit the same size as was max for the 6", the jaws touched the ways. But that max size in the 6" was really close with the 4 jaw chuck to having at least one of the jaws so close to the end of the adjustment range before dropping out...it took quite a bit of searching to find the max capacity and to figure out just where that would put the jaws, IIRC there is some variation with things like overall jaw length, so...to me it was just too chancy for little gain (I think I would have gained maybe a 1/2" in hole size but both were larger than spindle bore size)

Edit: for 14 x 40, I would go to 8" as well. My example above was for a much smaller lathe.

lakeside53
01-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Nothing wrong with using the "bigger hole" in the chuck. I've often turned material where I could push it back into the chuck, but not though the spindle.

I have both 6 and 8 for D-4 (14x40 lathe). I stay with my 6 inch chucks for most work, and mount the 8's only when needed.

bmw625
01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Nothing wrong with using the "bigger hole" in the chuck. I've often turned material where I could push it back into the chuck, but not though the spindle.

I have both 6 and 8 for D-4 (14x40 lathe). I stay with my 6 inch chucks for most work, and mount the 8's only when needed.

yeah, 14x40 is what I got it came with a 6in. 3 jaw & 8 inch 4 jaw - I am just toying with the Idea of a 8 in 3 jaw .

bmw