PDA

View Full Version : excello 602 information wanted

lost_cause
01-04-2014, 05:03 PM
an ad recently popped up on craigslist here for two excello 602 milling machines and a reed 2b surface grinder - package deal with all three for $1900. i'm not sure if i've got the room in my schedule to even go look at them right now, let alone figure out how i would get them loaded / unloaded if i was to make a deal. it seems like there are probably no more than 10 mills that pass through craigslist in this state per year, so i hate to not look at them since i would like to have an upgrade to my rf-30. the ad says little about them, other that they all need a little work and the mills are in very good shape.

i was hoping for some input from the crowd here. is there anything specific i should look for in these machines? any areas where they might be prone to damage that isn't repairable, or a part that can't be replaced? how about electrics? if there is a motor issue can they be retrofitted with something generic, or do they need to be replaced with an original / rebuilt one, which i would assume to be pricey?

i guess the same for the grinder if anyone knows about them - things to look for, expensive things to have to replace, etc. i'm not sure i can even make the time to go look at them yet, but if i can find a bit of free time i'd like to.

garyhlucas
01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
I once owned an Excello 602 machine with a Bandit CNC installed on it. I also own a Bridgeport. The Excello is clearly a superior machine to a Bridgeport in my book. It is a beefier machine in all regards. I had the head apart, I can't remember why, and I've had the Bridgeport head apart as well. Again the head design and construction was superior to the Bridgeport. My Excello had an NMTB spindle instead of R8. That was very nice, especially since the machine came with more than 50 holders and more than 75 collets! I had shell mill holders, tension compression tap holders, chucks, collet holders, set screw end mill holders, the works, and all top American brands. The tool holders were worth 3 times what I paid for the machine in a sealed bid auction.

MaxHeadRoom
01-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I retro fitted a couple of them to CNC, these had Kwik change 300 type spindle. But is a beefy machine.
The spindle motors are GE pancake style motors and last, you can fit an new mounting flange for another type of C mount if you had to.
They come in 1.5hp and 2hp models.
I had to machine a bronze shifter for the G.B. as for Excello it was a special order, I also replaced the Varispeed with a 1:1 timing belt and VFD.
Max.

EddyCurr
01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
If you do not already have it, here is one instance
of several instances of the Ex-Cell-O Owner's Manual
that can be found online. This one compliments of
Mr Igor Chudov

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Excello-602-Mill-Manual.pdf

I believe there are weights in there and I know that mention
is made of the different table sizes, the different spindle types,
(NTMB 30, 40 & R8, IIRC), the optional table drive and other
points of interest to a prospective purchaser.

There have already been several helpful remarks. I will
add that the 602 is considered a soundly designed, reliable
and undifficult to maintain/repair machine for anyone with
the inclination.

At least go take a look.

EddyCurr
01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
I will add that if you look for an owner/operator with a knuckle
boom truck and some experience, you might well consider it
time well spent if you decide to purchase.

Many of these units have plenty of capacity for manipulating a
602 out at the far reaches of their range, which can be considerable.
What this means is that they can pick/place your equipment with
ease/accuracy/safety while you stand off to the side nursing a
beverage.

If the destination has a reasonably tall door and a suitable floor, a
knuckle boom will probably be able to place a 602 just inside. If
you borrow/rent a pallet jack you can relocate the machine simply
from there - if it happens to have feet, you won't need much or
any blocking to get the PJ underneath.

wierdscience
01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
If they are in any kind of decent shape get them,you'll be getting two mills for the price of one and the SG for free.Excellos are good mills,heavier and stiffer than a Bridgeport.If I could find a good one locally I would buy it.

quadrod
01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I have an XLO 602 now, it is the only mill i have ever owned. It has the 2hp motor that i had to put bearings in, they can be found easily. I also replaced some of the bearings in the head since i had the whole machine apart to get it in my shop. I did have to make some new bushings for the very drive but that was not a bad project. As others have said a robust machine. Mine is an R8 spindle and a three phase motor so had to get a VFD for it. The pancake motors are not made any longer but can probably be rewound if necessary.

MaxHeadRoom
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I just remembered the last bulletin I got from Excello recommended using ATF in the XLO G.B. now.
Max.

spkrman15
01-06-2014, 10:02 PM
I have one and I have no complaints. Works good. I installed a VFD to drive the 3 phase motor.

Rob :)