PDA

View Full Version : OT: Destroying Disks and Drives Video

Paul Alciatore
01-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Here is a fun video. It eats hard drives.

http://recyclingsurplus.com/

darryl
01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Would definitely take some skill to retrieve data from that.

krutch
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Couldn't get my puter to load the video.
Watched a TV show about a murderer who was allowed to get his hands on a CD with data on his research on how to kill. He busted the disc in several pieces. The FBI put the disc back together and was able to retrieve enough of the critical data to convict the guy.
Total destruction and maybe even melting seems to be the only way to guarantee privacy.

WhatTheFlux!
01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
I think the whole "we can reconstruct totally destroyed media" thing came about in an effort to smoke-screen data collection. And illegal surveillance methods/procedures. Rather than say "we wiretapped him without a warrant" they produce "destroyed" media and say "ho ho ho we reconstructed this in the lab and look we found EVIDENCE.

ckelloug
01-09-2014, 02:34 PM
The government has a machine that sands the aluminum off the surface of the CD and reduces it to dust. This is how classified CD's are destroyed.

Royldean
01-09-2014, 03:05 PM
The government has a machine that sands the aluminum off the surface of the CD and reduces it to dust. This is how classified CD's are destroyed.

Why not just incinerate them?

Jaakko Fagerlund
01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Would not harm the actual data to get rid of the aluminum, as the data is encoded on the polycarbonate layer and the metallic layer only serves as a reflecting surface for the beam.

Rich Carlstedt
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Why not just incinerate them?

Hold it Roy ! , their job is to spend money, not do things the smart way.

Rich

darryl
01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Sure is ironic. On one hand we are looking for a way to semi-permanently store data, and retrieve it via a sustainable means- on the other hand it seems to require a considerable investment of technology to destroy it.

TGriffin
01-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Those guys are amateurs, this is how I deactivate a hard drive. :cool:

Tom

http://youtu.be/HOh3d6deKec

Paul Alciatore
01-10-2014, 03:37 AM
I think if I wanted to be sure I had totally destroyed a CD, DVD, or hard drive disk, I would take it to the belt sander and turn it into dust. I don't think even the FBI or CIA could get anything back from that.

hermetic
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
All seems a bit silly and over engineered to me, the easiest way to destroy data on a cd is to drop it in a recycler and recycle the plastic, mixing it with smashed up HDD's means that in order to recycle it, it has to be sorted out again. Same goes for the hdd, just manually strip it and recycle all the metals, including the platters, and the data is gone. smashing it into small pieces will not seperate the metals and plastics cleanly enough for recycling without further meticulous sorting, neither will it remove steel screw from aluminium castings. I think the idea here is to have an impressive machine so you can sell a premium priced data destruction service to paranoid execs with more money than sense. I doubt if anyone can extract data from molten metal or plastic!

tmarks11
01-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I think if I wanted to be sure I had totally destroyed a CD, DVD, or hard drive disk, I would take it to the belt sander and turn it into dust. I don't think even the FBI or CIA could get anything back from that.
Too much work. Hit the CD/DVD with a propane torch for about 45 seconds, and it will turn into a pile of goo, without risking sanding the skin off your fingers.

HDD are much harder to destroy. The disks in those things are fairly strong. I take the HDD apart to get the disk out, wipe it with a super magnet, then put it in a vise and beat it back and forth with a sledge until it snaps in half. A propane torch heating of the surface would probably also help magnetically wipe it, sense magnetic poles tend to realign to random directions after being heated up to a high enough temperature.