PDA

View Full Version : OT - Computer problems caused by aurora borealis?

SGW
01-10-2014, 06:28 AM
For the past few days I've had weird Internet communication problems. I'm wondering if they could be due to the recent solar storm, or if my computer is just messed up. Has anyone else been having problems they can correlate with the solar storm?

vpt
01-10-2014, 08:13 AM
I have had problem as well but just blamed it on the cold and everyone sitting in the house on the internets. Or the cold itself causing problems with the system.

Jon Heron
01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
I have had problem as well but just blamed it on the cold and everyone sitting in the house on the internets. Or the cold itself causing problems with the system.

Ditto.
My provider had 2 AP's go down this week, they were able to repair them within a few hours though...
We had a major ice storm here just before Christmas and I figured that could be part of the problems..
Cheers,
Jon

lynnl
01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, interesting! What type of connections do you folks have?

I too have been having issues with my AT&T service for the past two or three weeks. I would just lose the DSL signal intermittently, sometimes two or three times a day, sometimes not at all for a few days.

I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support last night; we got it up and running and as soon as I hung up the phone I looked at the DSL modem ...NO DSL light, RED internet light! ARrrggh!! But it did come back up just a ffew minutes later.

dp
01-10-2014, 10:16 AM
The aurora doesn't cause problems but what causes the aurora can. There was a coronal mass ejection from the sun a few days ago and it got here yesterday. It is projected to be quite strong but so far it has not been.

dp
01-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support last night; we got it up and running and as soon as I hung up the phone I looked at the DSL modem ...NO DSL light, RED internet light! ARrrggh!! But it did come back up just a ffew minutes later.

Do you have a dial-out burglar alarm system? Sometimes those can be a problem when they phone home with a health check. Mine causes problems when the internal lead acid backup battery goes bad.

The recent cold snap that has gripped North America is creating havoc on the grid and the wired services.

fjk
01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Who is your provider up there?
We have Time-Warner at our vacation/weekend house and they are, imnsho, definitely second, or third, class...
I've also heard nothing but mediocre-to-bad things about mumble-point (the folks who took over from Verizon)...

You may just be seeing your normal bad service and assuming it's the solar storm... :-/

Frank

darryl
01-10-2014, 05:57 PM
What if you have 'normal, bad service' and then it gets hit with the solar storm- might be better off getting your service via DSM (dog sled mail) :)

SGW
01-10-2014, 06:34 PM
An outfit called Fairpoint Communications bought the state of Maine from Verizon a few years ago. I am not particularly impressed by their DSL service, but most of the time it works, albeit slowly. 1.6Mb/sec is the fastest speed I can get in my location.

Yes, I misspoke when I mentioned the aurora -- that's a result, not the cause.

lynnl
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I had a technician (at&t) out last evening. He checked the phone box outside and found lots of corrosion. The connectors, in one of those square plugs that connected my house wiring to the box, were literally crumbling.

I'm confident that was my problem. He said the signal had checked out 'good' at all points upstream.

When I saw that corrosion problem I was pretty sure that crumbly connector had required replacement once before.