PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie lathe question. 80 t plastic gear?

tricklidz
01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
I've got a used Enco lathe and someone's got the 80t plastic gear in place of the 40-80-40 gear combo with not upper "a" change gear!! The power feed will only travel away from the headstock with this setup! I assume I'd have to put the other gears back for the correct direction of travel?
Anyone ever see this?

mars-red
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Maybe they had something rigged up to cut a specific pitch of left-hand threads by eliminating a gear that way. I'm actually making some extra gears for my Enco 3-in-1, and a new mount to accommodate an extra gear to the train, to be able to cut left hand threads. You will need all the gears put back to get the normal direction of travel, yes.

tricklidz
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Never thought of that. Thanks. The gear is loose and doesn't look right. I have the gears to put it back but I think I need another shaft that I don't think I have...oh well will have to order more parts. The belt I just got seems too short too!! Heck, for the money I'm spending on this I could have bought a new one!!!

lost_cause
01-10-2014, 06:25 PM
not to change gears in the thread, so to speak, but since you are talking about an enco and an 80t gear, could you tell me if you have a 12" enco lathe? if so, could you post a reasonably close-up picture of the 80t gear?

i've got a nova 12x40 lathe. it's another chinese lathe made from the same general specs as all the other 12" lathes. i bought mine used a little over a year ago, and while i wasn't exactly missing pieces, i did a worn 80t gear that needed replacing. amazingly enough, the original spare parts / toolbox had another 80t in it . since mine is a nova, and as far as i know, they don't exist anymore, i did a lot of looking around and i found that since the different sellers of these lathes all sell nearly identical models, you can often source replacements from other places. i will say that the gear change and belt drive is one area where they differ between brands. i think the enco uses the same gear setup (including the 80t plastic gear) as my nova, where the grizzly uses a different setup (if i remember correctly). my 80t is a plastic gear with a bearing retained by a snap ring. if it's the same as an enco i may order one as a spare.

tricklidz
01-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I can take a better look at it when I take it apart tomorrow and take pictures. Here's some info I've learned after much research on parts. I have an Enco 9x20.
1. Enco's website, printed parts/user manual SUX!!
2. Grizzlys website, printed parts/user manual is GREAT!!
3. Grizzlys parts manual for a same size lathe (I don't know the model number) lists the same exact parts (slightly different numbers) as the Enco book, exact same pictures! I order Grizzly parts off their site and get them in a very reasonable time. I never even bothered trying to order through ENCO
4. Here's what I've discovered with the 80t gear so far- like I stated my used lathe had an 80t plastic gear installed in place of the 40-80-40t arrangement that should be there. The Enco manual states that it is delivered with the plastic gear for safety reasons (I assume in case you crash the carriage) and if it gets damaged, replace with the steel gear which I have along with a 40 (I believe the other 40t is what's machined in the back of the spindle- but I could be mistaken as the book I'd fatigue about this)
The Grizzly makes no mention of a "plastic" gear and neither parts manual lists a plastic gear!
Note: my 80t rides loose on the shaft with a lot of end play and just doesn't seem right setup without mating with the 40t. Btw: the belt is tight between the B and C pulleys without using the tensioner

I'm taking the whole thing apart tomorrow and getting to the bottom of it!!
In the mean time I would suggest you go to the Grizzly site check out a lathe close to your size check the p# for the gear then check the same part on a 9x20 and that's the gear I have---
I'm willing to bet there all the same...
Good luck, I'll keep you posted!!

cc2
01-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Never thought of that. Thanks. The gear is loose and doesn't look right. I have the gears to put it back but I think I need another shaft that I don't think I have...oh well will have to order more parts. The belt I just got seems too short too!! Heck, for the money I'm spending on this I could have bought a new one!!!

I have a 9 x 20 also. I could be wrong, but I think there are couple different sized belts for these (maybe more)

tricklidz
01-11-2014, 11:29 PM
I ordered a longer belt today, even though the belt is the same length as the old one!! Now the gears. Well, the shaft and bushing is missing for the two 28t-40tcombo so I ordered the parts from Grizzly and I'll go from there.