PDA

View Full Version : Interstate end mills

frankie
01-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I would like some opinions on Interstate end mills (China) that Enco sells, larger sizes in particular around 1.0 or 7/8.

toolznthings
01-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Hello,
Overall they are OK,but not great. I prefer the Hertel brand when they are available in the size I need. Much better quality. The old " kind of what get for what you pay " thing.

mars-red
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll second that. Most of the cutters I've bought new have been Interstate. I don't do very much milling and when I do it's pretty light duty. Even with such light use I have been able to tell that the Interstates don't hold their edge quite as well as the used U.S. made cutters I've bought. I sharpened my used cutters just once before I used them, but most of my Interstates have been resharpened twice or more.

My most recent lot of used end mills came from e-bay, and were all the double-ended type but each had an end broken off. They went dirt cheap, and some of them had non-broken sides that were still sharp as new.

outback
01-12-2014, 09:59 AM
I'll also say OK but not great rating. They are fine for light milling or the times when a real sharp tool is needed for a good finish. The real test is milling A-2 or D-2 tool steels. I doubt they will stay sharp for long.

They seem to fine milling aluminum and low carb steels.

For some reason the Chinese have a long way to go in making quality cutting tools. They also seem to be very brittle and break off easily. Beware when making holes with Chinese tools.
Jim

gbritnell
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Lets not mince words about Interstate cutters. They're junk. The first thing is I use R-8 holders in my mill, not collets. The O.D. of Interstate cutters can vary by .002. I have some that won't even go in the holders while others are so loose that they act like boring bars. The other thing is some of the flutes don't have any clearance on the cutting edges. I started buying the Hertel cutters, what a difference. Like someone already mentioned, "you get what you pay for."
gbritnell

projectnut
01-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Lets not mince words about Interstate cutters. They're junk. The first thing is I use R-8 holders in my mill, not collets. The O.D. of Interstate cutters can vary by .002. I have some that won't even go in the holders while others are so loose that they act like boring bars. The other thing is some of the flutes don't have any clearance on the cutting edges. I started buying the Hertel cutters, what a difference. Like someone already mentioned, "you get what you pay for."
gbritnell

I would agree. I bought a number of them for a special job a few years ago. I had over 1,000" to mill on mild steel at an average depth of .250." Even at as little as .030 per pass they didn't work well. It was almost as if they were made of rubber. They bounced all over the place and it looked as though the metal had been chewed off. I ended up scrapping them and purchasing some Cleveland mills to complete the job.

I don't know how true it is, but I read recently that the Cleveland brand is now also made in China.

J Tiers
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Isn't "Interstate" just an in-house brand for one of the suppliers? Bought from whatever source is cheapest this month....

flutedchamber
01-13-2014, 12:11 AM
They are sharp, but don't last as long as a good quality cutter if your are cutting thick or tough steel. Great for aluminum, brass and soft steel. They DO make great flat bottom holes for springs and such.