PDA

View Full Version : economy press

darryl
01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Happened to walk through a thrift shop today. Here's what I came home with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/heinrich/juiceextractor_zpsc1789932.jpg

Literature says it can press up to 2000 lbs. I didn't know what it was at first, but it has a NSF sticker on it, and it's heavy. I thought it might make a decent desk-top press for something, or even a base for a multi-tool, or a drill press to mount a dremel in- something like that. It's pretty solid- the base and the top part are cast iron, and the post is solid, not a tube.

sasquatch
01-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Never seen anything like that Darryl, has it got a manufacters name on it.

oxford
01-11-2014, 08:53 PM
It look like an orange squeezer to make juice with.

KJ1I
01-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Yup, its a juicer. I seriously doubt you can actually get 2000 psi out of it. 200 maybe?

RussZHC
01-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Given some of my searching the past couple of weeks, it maybe about the right size to press on replacement "crystals" for dial indicators [Indicatorshop had mentioned some types need an actual press, I assume to keep an even pressure all the way around]

darryl
01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Yes, I discovered it is a juice press- Hamilton Beach model 932. Everything I could find on it says it's a good one. Retail on it looks to be from about $90 and up, so it should be pretty substantial I'd think. I didn't get the fruity domes with it, but I would just have tossed them anyway- and I paid less than $10 for it. As I said, the base and top 'elbow' are cast iron, and so it the 'table'(looking at it as a drill press).

I had figured that since is was this solidly built, it might be good for 200 lbs or so- I really can't see 2000 lbs. But then I figured my potential applications would be well within the 200 lb range.

The elbow and the table both fit the column very closely, and it appears that the ram is virtually perfectly parallel to the column. The only thing I'd do is shim the ram to eliminate the play there- then I could safely say it could be a precision press.

OKChipmaker
01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
looks like a crystal press/case closer that a watch repairman uses.