PDA

View Full Version : Wask wrench?

Timleech
01-13-2014, 03:59 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Desoutter-Bros-Ltd-London-Worm-Drive-Wask-Wrench-v-/310835759284

Never heard of a 'Wask wrench', what was it made for & why so much money?
I've got something a bit similar but with 1/2" square drive, assumed it was just a precursor of the air ratchet but if they're worth that sort of money I ought to find a buyer, haven't used it for years.
It's a potentially vicious tool!

I've asked the ebay vendor a similar question.

Tim

awemawson
01-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Tim,

Wask make a lot of special equipment for the installation of water, gas, and oil pipe lines. In the past few weeks a lot of this stuff has been appearing on ebay in the UK so I think some major civil engineering contractor has been having a clear out !

Andrew

KJ1I
01-13-2014, 08:51 AM
why so much money?

Because its "Vintage"! I've seen eBay listings as "Used" at $20, then the same item listed elsewhere as vintage at $150.

kbertoson
01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Yes. The word "vintage" is a value mulitiplier in the eyes of every seller on E-bay. If the item was manufactured the previous day. The word "vintage" increases the price many times.

Timleech
01-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes. The word "vintage" is a value mulitiplier in the eyes of every seller on E-bay. If the item was manufactured the previous day. The word "vintage" increases the price many times.

Seems a bit odd applied to what is presumably being offered as a tool to be worked, though.
Desoutter is part of Atlas Copco now, but has a long history of making industrial air tools going back to WWI in London.

I've had this reply from the seller:-

"Hi ,

It's a high torque wrench that's used for gas main work. Some people
call them worm drives but are more commonly known as a wask wrench.

Kind
Regards"

Having looked further I see there are two others on ebay uk.

Tim

Duffy
01-13-2014, 02:45 PM
"Wask" is a new spelling for me; I seem to remember Wajx. Anyway, a Wajx/Wask wrench is/was a portable electric power unit that was used to operate large valves. there were 48" valves on the water supply line from Grand Bend to London, Ontario. The head on the system was something around 500 feet, and the valve had to be operated slowly to avoid the risk of water hammer. The wrench was SLOOOWWW. The crew would place a hard hat on the valve stem and break for lunch. Since these were rising stem valves, when the hat dropped about 48", the valve was closed. I think it took about 45 minutes.

John Stevenson
01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Didn't know the name and never heard of it but had a few of these in the early day EX-XD in 1/2" and 3/8" form.
Biggest problem with these is the lack of a clutch, had a few trapped fingers in some tight spaces.

Timleech
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Didn't know the name and never heard of it but had a few of these in the early day EX-XD in 1/2" and 3/8" form.
Biggest problem with these is the lack of a clutch, had a few trapped fingers in some tight spaces.

I'd never heard the name before, but here is the company website:-

http://www.wask-uk.com/history.asp

Tim

cameron
01-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Well? Come on, say it!

WhatTheFlux!
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Clumsy bastard.

millwrong
01-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I would SO be talkin' like Elmer Fudd every time I had to use that thing...Just sayin'.