PDA

View Full Version : Question about car dolly

outback
01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Met someone here in Florida that is towing a Ford Ranger on a car dolly. He claims the Ranger tires are shifting
around on the dolly tire pads. Yes, the Ranger is a stick shift.
asked him if he unlocks the dolly wheels to turn with the towing vehicle. He says he always keeps the dolly wheels locked so they don't turn. He says he is afraid the dolly will wonder back and fourth while towing.

I say the dolly wheels should be unlocked and free to turn behind the pulling vehicle. The Ranger truck will prevent the setup from wandering back and fourth.

What do you guys think.
Jim

davidh
01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I thought locking was for backing. . .

outback
01-13-2014, 09:32 AM
David; Good point. I thought locking was for towing the dolly without car on it.
Jim

duckman
01-13-2014, 09:47 AM
The tower is just trying for the Darwin Award, with the dolly unlocked it acts just like a 4 wheel wagon.

j king
01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Met someone here in Florida that is towing a Ford Ranger on a car dolly. He claims the Ranger tires are shifting
around on the dolly tire pads. Yes, the Ranger is a stick shift.
asked him if he unlocks the dolly wheels to turn with the towing vehicle. He says he always keeps the dolly wheels locked so they don't turn. He says he is afraid the dolly will wonder back and fourth while towing.

I say the dolly wheels should be unlocked and free to turn behind the pulling vehicle. The Ranger truck will prevent the setup from wandering back and fourth.

What do you guys think.
Jim
It needs to be unlocked to tow. Drags the tires if it's locked and binds up causing the vehicle to move sideways in wheel pans

dave5605
01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I think you should make sure you are always at least 1/2 mile in front of him;)

outback
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
He pulled out today distined for another location. I helped him pull the locking pin out just before he left. He said he would email me to let me know how it works.

Some of the old geezers down her thought the wheels should be locked and others thought unlocked.

Thanks,
Jim

projectnut
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
We towed our Buick Le Sabre over 25,000 miles behind our motorhome on a dolly before switching to towing a 4wd Jeep Wrangler. The object of steerable wheels is so the dolly and it's cargo will follow in the tracks of the rear tires of the towing vehicle. With the wheels locked he's dragging it around every corner. The wheels should be locked only when the dolly is being towed unloaded. It should never be backed up with a load on it. Some people claim they can, but more often than not they don't tell you what they bent up when it jack knifed

Don Young
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
I have a factory built dolly that has no pivot. It has large recesses and chains to keep the wheels in the recesses. U-Haul at one time used a similar design. I always try to not turn a sharp corner with it but it tows really well.

j king
01-15-2014, 08:05 AM
I have a factory built dolly that has no pivot. It has large recesses and chains to keep the wheels in the recesses. U-Haul at one time used a similar design. I always try to not turn a sharp corner with it but it tows really well.

That would work if the steering isn't locked so it will pivot and not bind.

lost_cause
01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
yes, pin out for towing a vehicle. pin in for towing empty or backing up (best to do empty).

a little off topic, but there are some highways that you are not allowed to use a car dolly on. i believe the legal reason is that you have two pivots (trailer ball & unlocked wheels on the dolly) i think the jersey pike & garden state parkway both are like this, but it may have just been one of them, and it could have changed over the years. twenty years ago i towed a new car from a dealer's lot in staten island (southern most new york borough) to maine, and i had to tow it north through most of the city, even though i was within sight of the jersey pike. probably a place like aaa has good listings of where you can't tow them.

maybe the subject of this post could have argued his way out of a ticket since he didn't unlock the dolly? course, i've never found the courts or police to work well with reason and logic.