PDA

View Full Version : Question about clamping threaded rod vertically on a mill.

SirLesPatterson
01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi, new guy here. Looks like a great forum.

I'm a beginner and would like suggestions on ways to vertically clamp threaded rod (large, about 1" diameter) to my mini mill. I'm suspecting a v-block might be the answer, of which I do not have yet. The piece is a few inches long.

Additionally I would welcome advice on how to take measurements against the threaded rod to confirm squareness to the spindle or table. This has proven a challenge since there are no smooth sides or ends. Best I could think of so far it to put a large washer between two jamb nuts on the rod and use a dial indicator in a collet to measure against the washer's flat(ish) surface. I am relatively sure however that there is no guarantee the jamb nuts will seat squarely so it is probably a flawed tactic right out of the gate.

Of course I know that a lathe is more suited for such a task but I'm working with the tool I have.

Thank you.

Toolguy
01-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The V block is the way to go on that deal. The rod will be as square as the V block. To check square, you can use a square from the table to the top of the threads on the rod. You will be able to see a gap at the top or bottom if it's out of square. This is not the most precision way to check it but probably the most practical and likely close enough.

jlevie
01-13-2014, 10:04 AM
A vee-block and it's clamps. You want a pretty large vee-block for this. I'd put Al or Cu pads under the clamp screws.
To check the squareness if the piece is simply clamped in the vice, clamp a narrow parallel to the side of the rod and run an indicator up & down. Presumably the vice is square along the Y axis.

firbikrhd1
01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
You don't say how long the threaded rod will be but if it is in short pieces you could take a block of steel, CR is fine, square it up all around, drill and tap it for the rod size, then cut it in half lengthwise through the threads (or start with two pieces clamped tightly together drill and tap them for the same result). Then you put the rod into the piece you just made and clamp it in the mill vice and mill away.

RichR
01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi SirLesPatterson
To get a proper answer you should really state what you want to do to that threaded rod.
If you want to drill lengthwise, maybe drill a one inch hole through a piece of aluminum (or maybe hardwood), split it, and clamp
the rod between the two pieces in a vise.

Mid Day Machining
01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi SirLesPatterson
To get a proper answer you should really state what you want to do to that threaded rod.
If you want to drill lengthwise, maybe drill a one inch hole through a piece of aluminum (or maybe hardwood), split it, and clamp
the rod between the two pieces in a vise.

This is the best of the suggestions so far. If you hold your part in a V block with a clamp, you WILL damage the threads.

I would use an aluminum vise jaw with a V machined in it and an aluminum jaw to hold your part in the vise.

dalee100
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi

Loosen the clamp bolts on the head of your mini mill and turn it 90 sideways. Clamp rod in vice, locate center and drill easily.

Dalee

john clements
01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Do you know Dame Edna?

John

SirLesPatterson
01-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Do you know Dame Edna?

No Comment. :)

SirLesPatterson
01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Thank you for all of your replies. As per your suggestions I was going to shop for some vee blocks when a very heavy old lathe fell into my lap (that hurt). Vee blocks and other goodies included. So I will wrestle it home and see where this takes me.

Also, It also included MANY YEARS of "The Home Shop Machinist" Magazines.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.