PDA

View Full Version : O/T Slime on glass

davidh
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I have two late model vehicles, both have something on the inside of the windows that will not come off and leave the glass clean.

I have used straight ammonia, added a drop of dishwashing detergent, plain rubbing alcohol, carb cleaner, gas line antifreeze, spray foam type glass cleaner, windex, Lloyds best glass cleaner, wax and grease remover, laquer thinner, and others I cannot remember.

with these products and wiping with paper towels, dish towels, fancy rags (fiber something or other), black and white newspapers, and STILL their remains a streaked glass.

I think they were victims of that spray crap they use to make plastic dash and trim look clean and shiney but I am not sure.

any other ideas ? it makes me semi crazy looking thru them. . . .

WhatTheFlux!
01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Fill the car with water and throw in a couple of those plecostomus critters. They are great at cleaning glass.

Seriously though... could be a defect in the glass-coating/lamination. Happens from time to time.

CarlByrns
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I have two late model vehicles, both have something on the inside of the windows that will not come off and leave the glass clean.

I have used straight ammonia, added a drop of dishwashing detergent, plain rubbing alcohol, carb cleaner, gas line antifreeze, spray foam type glass cleaner, windex, Lloyds best glass cleaner, wax and grease remover, laquer thinner, and others I cannot remember.

with these products and wiping with paper towels, dish towels, fancy rags (fiber something or other), black and white newspapers, and STILL their remains a streaked glass.

I think they were victims of that spray crap they use to make plastic dash and trim look clean and shiney but I am not sure.

any other ideas ? it makes me semi crazy looking thru them. . . .

Do you smoke? Tobacco residue is hellish to get off.

Otherwise try Auto Armor or Meguiars glass cleaner and microfiber cloth. That's what pro detailers use because most interior glass staining is from gasses being released by the various foamed plastics the car interior is made from. It's called 'outgassing' and the above named cleaners are formulated to remove it. Household glass cleaners don't work anywhere near as well.

duckman
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Take a piece of newspaper and crumple it dampen it then sprinkle with baking soda (arm and hammer) start scrubbing, rinse and repeat if necessary, the soda is abrasive won't hurt the glass but will break the surface tension.

alcova
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM
I use vinegar once to get gunk of the inside of a window

Boucher
01-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Try some toothpaste in a small area.

boslab
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Silicone rubber remover proved effective on my van, the glass had the slime coat as you call it from dashboard polish, when i checked the stuff it was silicone mould release spray, figured that silicones remover might work, it did, keep it away from anything you dont want damaged though.
Mark

michigan doug
01-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, probably a silicone contaminant. Ugly to get off. I use the magic plastic refresher liquids less and less.

doug

michigan doug
01-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Yeah, probably a silicone contaminant. Ugly to get off. I use the magic plastic refresher liquids less and less.

doug

Mike Nash
01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
My wife had her van detailed for $40. Very nice job BUT, they did the dash, pedals, steps in the doors, everything in that Armor All type stuff. Dang near hurt myself every time I get in or out. Foot slips off the parking brake pedal if you don't push dead straight on, etc. You can't even set things on the dash without them sliding off even at a standstill. I hate that stuff and have never even once applied any myself. Oh, and the smell :(

ed_h
01-13-2014, 10:45 PM
I believe whoever mentioned outgassing is probably correct. Many of the plastics in the car have plasticizers mixed in to provide the correct amount of softness or pliability to the material. These chemicals can escape the plastics over time, especially at higher temperatures. In a closed car in the sun on a hot day, the plasticizers are literally being cooked out of the plastics. This is also why plastics, including vinyls, get stiff and brittle in their old age--they've lost their plasticizers.

A product made specifically for outgassed plasticizers will do the trick.

ahidley
01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
The film comes from the oil in plastics in the cabin degrading in the sun. There is one window cleaner that works GREAT for this. Its called BONAMI soap. You can get it in a grocery store. Its sold in a bar shape, just like a bar of hand soap. The directions are to use a very damp soft cloth and rub the bonami on so that it covers the window. Then let it dry. Once dry remove with paper towels or another soft cloth. DONT LET IT DRIP ON THE DASH because its hard to get off. But it comes off the glass EASY. DO NOT USE THIS ON A WINDOW THAT HAS PLASTIC ON THE SURFACE. I can only assume that the bars are still sold....
http://www.bonami.com/index.php/products/all_purpose_cleaner/

davidh
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
thanks for the ideas. I will be on a shopping mission this morning. . . . . results to follow.. .. ..

ironmonger
01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
My wife had her van detailed for $40. Very nice job BUT, they did the dash, pedals, steps in the doors, everything in that Armor All type stuff. Dang near hurt myself every time I get in or out. Foot slips off the parking brake pedal if you don't push dead straight on, etc. You can't even set things on the dash without them sliding off even at a standstill. I hate that stuff and have never even once applied any myself. Oh, and the smell :(
Not a good idea on a motorcycle seat either... :p

paul