PDA

View Full Version : Another question

Evan
05-01-2004, 09:04 PM
On the Strands drill press I am overhauling the head can swivel on the column. Handy feature of course. But, it also can be cranked up and down about six inches. I'm guessing that this is to allow drilling holes deeper than the quill travel alone will allow. Is there any other reason for this feature?

http://vts.bc.ca/img/dp3.jpg

sch
05-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Your pix doesn't show the table, but if
the table is fixed it would allow different
sized work to be placed under the drill.
Also some of those large (>1") drills are
pretty long compared with say a 3/8" drill.
Steve

Evan
05-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Nah, table can be cranked up and down about two feet.

wierdscience
05-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Many big drill presses have that feature,one thing handy about it is when lets say you have work supports setup level with the table to support long stock,but you need to change bits say maybe a small pilot drill to a larger one,well the length of the bit changes as size increases,so its easier to move the head up than move the table,workpiece and supports.This is a very handy feature if you get into some longer stuff,I had one awhile back where I needed 126 holes drilled in two pieces of 4x1" flat bar 18' long(heavy)I had to start with a 1/2" drill then go to a 1-1/4" a length difference of about 5" between drills.If the stiff arm drill at work hadn't had this feature I would have doubled my setup time and got a lot less work done that day.

Evan
05-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Thanks Wierd, makes sense.