PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fluent in Mach3 problem solving????

Davek0974
01-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi all, I'm nearly ready to test my 1st CNC table now so I thought I'd get the breakout board hooked up to mach3 and get the e-stop, limit and spindle/torch signals working and debugged.

The inputs are fine and perform as needed but I have no output to trigger the relay on the breakout board.

If I reboot the PC, the relay energises and stays on so I'm guessing the LPT port, cable and board/relay are all good.

As soon as I load mach3, the relay drops out and I cannot get it to re-energise again.

The board leaflet says spindle relay is on pin 9 and I have mach3 set for Output#1 on pin 9 and spindle fwd/rev to pin 9

Any ideas as I'm stuck right now and can't progress.

Thanks

Davek0974
01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Just tried a fresh install on another PC, different make but exactly the same behaviour.

Knires
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
I would start by only having one output per pin. Don't have 2 outputs on pin 9. You can change them between active high and active low to see if the relays respond as well.
Next, it is best practice to have your e-stop remove power to your spindle or what ever you are controlling as well as the e-stop pin in Mach3. As you are seeing those pin states can change on a whim during the computers start up and shut down. Always trip your e-stop before closing Mach3 and shutting down and always start Mach3 before releasing your e-stop.

Davek0974
01-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks
I'll try removing the CCW output to pin 9 and try that.

Re the relays, yes, it will need some safety features adding but that's pretty simple stuff.

Davek0974
01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
FIXED!

There was a little post i found on a google search.

There is a tick box - "Max CL Mode Enabled", this was checked, unchecking solved the issue :)

Happy days, thanks for the help.

SGW
01-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Do you know about http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php

Davek0974
01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi

Yes, thanks, I'm already on there :)

ironmonger
01-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks
I'll try removing the CCW output to pin 9 and try that.

Re the relays, yes, it will need some safety features adding but that's pretty simple stuff.

Did you try to remove the CCW output? I was curious whether or not that was part of the problem.

paul

MaxHeadRoom
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
If I reboot the PC, the relay energises and stays on so I'm guessing the LPT port, cable and board/relay are all good.

As soon as I load mach3, the relay drops out and I cannot get it to re-energise again.

This also shows why all power devices energized by Mach be in the hardwired E-stop state at power up, and the E-stop circuit only be enabled when mach has loaded.
Otherwise things like spindles etc can start up at undesired times.
Max.

Davek0974
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Did you try to remove the CCW output? I was curious whether or not that was part of the problem.

paul

Yes and it makes no difference, all it does is divert both cw and CCW signals to the same pin

This also shows why all power devices energized by Mach be in the hardwired E-stop state at power up, and the E-stop circuit only be enabled when mach has loaded.
Otherwise things like spindles etc can start up at undesired times.
Max.

It's a very good point, and will be put into practice too.

Is there a way of finding out when mach3 has loaded?