PDA

View Full Version : April/May MW, every artical a winner!

G.A. Ewen
04-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Neil,
What a great issue! Every artical is a winner. Glen Wilsons "Coolant Applicator Pen" and Steve Kinseys "The Art of Making Darts" are both on my to-do list. There are some really practical projects for beginners in this issue and some good advise in, "Buying Used Measuring Tools" by Thomas Buckley. I am quite satisfied to have one artical per issue that is of interest to me. This issue is a real bonus.

Paul,
Good job on your "Tips and Tricks" submission.

Neil
04-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks, G.A.!

The accolade, though, should go to the authors for their efforts and support. We couldn't do it without them.

Neil

dsergison
04-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I'd like to add that I really appreciated the plastic welding article. I've been eyeing the same HF torch and wondering what the difference is between the $300 models.
(apparently the $14 speed controll will fix it right up).

Dan

Paul Alciatore
04-30-2004, 04:12 PM
G. A.,

Thanks for the thanks. I didn't even know that it had been published and I had read most of that issue without seeing it. So thanks for caling it to my attention. I hope it helps someone.

And you are dead right about the rest of the issue also. All the authors deserve a good round of applause.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 04-30-2004).]

G.A. Ewen
04-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Myself and another local HSM (Andy) were discussing the merrits of the "Prestridge" milling vise this evening. We are both impressed, not only with it's simple design, but also with it's potential versitility. Many different types of jaws could be made for it and quickly installed for holding problem work pieces. In some cases jaw blanks could be installed on the vise and then custom milled to fit a problem piece right in the middle of the job.

Good one Fred http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

J Tiers
05-04-2004, 12:59 AM
I think I agree....

Particularly the plastic welding article, and of course Forrest's column. I particularly liked the letter replies. I think that is a good touch. Something many of the columns in what many may consider the more "golden days" of the mag could have used.
I consider that a good innovation. Hope we have not seen the last of it.

The engine article was a goodie also.

Very good issue overall IMO.

Oh, gotta be a bad guy after all....Are we finally done with that %*&^$ ball-turning gizmo? Nice enough, but man, seems like it lasted almost as long as the Vandy scooter (which needed the space).

Sorry.

mmambro
05-04-2004, 04:34 PM
I agree that the current issue is a great issue.

I especially enjoy Forrest's column, and the letters are a nice touch.

This magazine is starting to capture some of the energy of this BB; the two should complement each other as resources.

An index/summary/highlight section in the magazine referencing particulary informative threds with associated followup commentary letters from the readers might be a nice way of better integrating the two modalities and provide an additional means of vetting the information presented on the board.

Thanks,

Mike