PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Double-Acting engine in HSM

sidneyt
04-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Neil:

Just got my new May/June issue of Home shop Machinist in the mail today. I was actually pretty excited to see the cover with the photo of the tandem double-acting engine. Before I turned to the article I was beginning to think this was like reading Model Engineer that is until I turned to the article and discovered this was not a construction project at all. I was disappointed. I was thinking about how you have had articles on making model concrete mixers, diving board pedestals and a hand pump for the kitchen, why not a tandem double-acting engine?

Neil
04-28-2004, 08:23 AM
When Doug Kelley sent in his article, I had thought the engine would be an inspiration for those readers in the IC community. The photography is first rate and the craftsmanship is top notch.

Currently, I'm trying to get Doug to cover more of the construction details for a future installment.

dsergison
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
you got a full cutaway drawing and a picture. what more do you need? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

ulav8r
04-28-2004, 09:54 AM
"you got a full cutaway drawing and a picture. what more do you need?"

Details of the cams and valves.

neonman
04-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Just got my HSM today. Beautiful work, both in design and implementation. Very fitting for an HSM cover.

I have recently finished an engine of similar complexity, and I can add that there is more to building one of these than a cut away drawing, unless you want to do a lot of design. I have been interested in possibly writing an article on my engine - a scale model Corliss, but there have been many construction articles. I thought of writing more on the lines of the tooling and special fixtures needed to hold the wierd castings. What would y'all be interested in reading?

Check out the Corliss:
www.io.com/~maury (http://www.io.com/~maury)

ulav8r
04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Maury,

Your'e thoughts on an articl about the tooling and special fixtures sounds good. I may never take the time to build an engine, but the exposure to methods could be useful on other projects.

John Stevenson
04-29-2004, 11:25 AM
There is an old book out there called A Manual of Machine Drawing and Design by Lowe
Funnily enough I have just looked on http://www.abebooks.com and there is only one listed at $25 here in the UK.
I find this funny as you trip all over the damn things here in S/H book shops, I think I have about 3 copies.

Anyway YET again I digress.

In the back of this book is a set of drawings, full set BTW, for a triple compound launch engine designed by Watchout, Splinter and Sink or some such nautical engineers, if it's important I can look it up.

I have often looked at these and thought they could be scaled to any size.
They could be copied and posted as scans as the book was pubished in 1894 so copyright has long sunk.

Incidently the drawings are there as an apprentice exercise. Instruction go " Draw full size ......
My mind boggles at the amount of work behind this, 20 sheets of A---000 paper, three hundredweight of 2H pencils and rubber off an eighteen wheeler, no wonder they had to do 7 year apprenticeships, it would have took 2 years for the GA.

John S.

Spin Doctor
04-29-2004, 04:11 PM
and here I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet

Sprocket
04-29-2004, 08:52 PM
I haven't gotten it either... and usually mine comes fairly early

PSD KEN
04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm building a fore & aft compound,double acting, from Mr Kouhoupt's plans.
Yes! lotsa thingies, wouldn't want to attempt it from a cutaway.
If I ever finish, will try to summon enough courage to attempt a Corliss.

BJim Shell
04-30-2004, 07:20 AM
The interesting thing about DA tandem engines, they had water cooled pistons. Slip tubes [think trombones] swivels. Must have look ed like a p**d grasshopper. Jim

------------------
Jim

Peter S
04-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Jim,
Have you got any more info on the engines you refer to? I have never heard of a water cooled steam engine piston (but willing to be surprised!)
Diesel engines commonly used water cooled pistons (or oil cooled nowadays), they had some interesting jointed pipework getting the water in and out. One I have seen had the water returns gathered in one place so temperatures/flows could be monitored.

gglines
04-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Maury:

An article on the fixtures and machining methods would be very interesting. I've yet to build a project from HSM/MW (half the time I don't know what the finished project is actually for) but read the articles for just such tips.

Thanks,

George

Rich Carlstedt
05-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Peter
It's not a steamer, but a IC gas engine.

BJim Shell
05-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Pete.. Yes its a IC engine. Drawings in an old ICS handbook circa 1920s. Also had Gnome rotary WW1 aero[sic] engine w/timing dia. Sorta 2/4 cycle! Inlet ports in lower cyl. o
One valve in head. Power stroke-valve opens before c-case ports are opened. The fuel mixture was so rich it didnt explode! usualy. Piston goes up to tdc to scavange, down for intake, before reaching c-case ports VALVE finaly closes making vacume for rich mixture to rush in. Piston gos up on comp. stroke, BANG.Ifigger 720* valve event. Did I mention the engine spun around the crank which was fixed to the aircraft,which is the intake man. for themixing valve for air/fuel. They also had 2 valve emgines,at 1 18 cyl. 2 row geared. engine turned rt.-prop turned lt. 900 rpm big prop. L H JIM

------------------
Jim

BJim Shell
05-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Corection about gnome rotary engine valve timing. It is only 380* open. I went back to book for refresher. To start put #1 bdc, open fuel valve, when fuel runs out port turn off fuel. move aircraft back from fuel puddle. Pull thru 1, 2 turns.switch on, pull prop to start.Rotarys were good to 250 HP. Point of diminishing returns like 1500HP sleeve valve air cooled radial of WWII. Which is another story.

Spin Doctor
05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Very nicely done. Would really like to see a MPG file of this running!

jeastwood
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Love to see a construction article on this engine; it might need an entire book!

Evan
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
BJim,

Still in use today is the Wright R-3350 "Cyclone". They are in current use on the Martin Mars water bombers that operate here. They put out up to 2800 HP. I used to work at the shop that did the water bomber conversions on the Mars.

http://www.bcam.net/engines/wcyclone18.htm

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-04-2004).]

PSD KEN
05-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Gee, if I had my copy, I could coment too!(LOL)

[This message has been edited by PSD KEN (edited 05-04-2004).]

BJim Shell
05-05-2004, 05:51 AM
Evan, Ihave seen several Mars take off with RATO assist at San Diego. Impressive as hell considering the left hand turn to miss Point Loma. At the time [`48] I was aboard sub tender USS Nereus oppisite N. Island with a good view. While in boot camp saw Consolidated x-c 99 take off over head.BIG and LOW.Look at body, not see wing tip`s!
Rotary engines-I can`t find my book on the Bently BR2 to tell the name of the British CRAFTSMAN who devloped the 1/4 scale working model but I`ve seen one im a Sopwith Camel model. It makes me feel as if I`m wearing box ing gloves. Jim