PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Miracle Truss buildings?

abn
02-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Does anyone here have first hand experience constructing a Miracle Truss brand steel building? I'm looking for an inexpensive garage, and have seen some attractive sale prices on this brand, but would like to know how they hold up in the real world. They advertise "29 guage" siding which doesn't seem substantial...

abn
04-30-2004, 02:56 AM
There seem to be a lot more members here now...ao I thought I'd resurrect this old post. Any input on steel pre-manufactured buildings vs. standard wood frame/truss construction? I'm still dreaming of a garage/shop. The last "Miracle Truss" flyer advertises 27'x36' for $6766 US. I don't know what it will actually cost delivered or how much of my own lumber etc. I'll have to source locally. That's what kind of input I'm looking for from anyone that has put up a steel building.

[This message has been edited by abn (edited 04-30-2004).]

ibewgypsie
04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Here, Siding is .33 a square foot, or $1.00 a linear foot. ANy color you want. It is pretty substantial, I can stand on it without plywood reinforcement like I did my house.

You can rent a siding shear. You place the siding on the humps, pull it to the right length, push the handle down and it cuts it like scissors.

Framing? I built mine on 2x4 stud walls on a concrete slab.

Framing? I am working on a die to bend the light guage 2x3 metal tubing in my model 3 bender. The 1/2" plate was dropped on my stoop. Just got to have time to make it. My next outdoor project is a carport.

docsteve66
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Friend of mine, here in Jacksonville fl, erects steel buildings, his are hurricane rated. Sheeting Material is (memory serving correctly) 29 gauge crimped, painted steel (and as IBEW says, 3 foot wide), spaced on joists, studs on five foot centers. Up to 30 foot span no trusses are used. The main thing needed to bring the building up to hurricane code was anchors. I THINK they are snow rated as well- but never thought to ask. Most important worker on the job is the concrete man- if the slab is not level and proper size, the metal looks bad and is slow to install.

The brand name is not Miracle truss, but the design is certified by professional engineers, the business is very competitive- the slightest apparent weakness is exploited by the rival installers (building permits are challenged, work stops until the problems are worked out). The result seems to be that, despite the claimed differences, they all use about the same structural materials (dictated by costs).

In other words, its the installation crew that makes for good/bad buildings- and some crews do it right the first time, some crews go from company to company and never get it right.

CCWKen
05-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I been looking into buildings for the last three years. The only thing good I saw with the Miracle Truss system was that you didn't need a forklift or other machinery to erect it. Scaffolding will do the trick (and muscle). I didn't like the lightweight look of the trusses or the Quonset Hut look.

29ga. is pretty good. That's the "usual" steel unless special ordering. As an example, the corrugated steel sheets at the home centers are 32ga. galvanized. Which means about 35ga. in real life. The 29ga. panels are about twice as thick as the home center stuff.

docsteve66
05-04-2004, 05:41 PM
THe building I described above straight side, gabled roof, no internal trusses, standard size doors, including garage doors. They have clear span up to 30 feet. For 8 foot walls, they stand up the "studs" (mostly 3by 4 inch steel), and start screwing the tin to the studs. they have no eaves, just wrap the sheeting (3 foot by 20 long) around the "break from vertical wall to sloped flat roof. no scaffold involved, the sheeting is strong enough to walk on once screwed to the studs/joists. Kind of wobbly at first. As I said, brands (each company has its own) seem to matter little, just go for price and be sure to look at other work and get the same crew (good luck at that). Oh yes- whats in writing is the MOST you will probably get. The seller of the materials may contract the erection (probably will) even though the seller says they are his crew (but not in writing). So if the work is done, and you are not happy, you may get the problem corrected but if the crew doesn't correct, they still get paid or they (crew) will put a lien on the building until THEY are happy.

It all boils down to: inspect the "engineered drawings", be sure all permits are pulled, buy the materials from the supplier, figure you are dealing with a separate bunch for erection unless the contract says other wise. YOU pay the salesman (company) who then hopefully pays the laborers. Just remember, the profit margin is pretty low, so they can't "give" many extras in the form of materials or labor.

abn
05-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks alot for the input gents...I'm in California so hurricane and snow shouldn't be a problem...I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get some storage that will last and look like traditional construction(not the Quonset? hut looking things CCWKen mentions). The only downside I see the Miracle Truss one is that the trusses do seem to take up a bit of internal space (and I'm sure it's hot as heck in the summer.

shooter2
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Check into "American Building Systems". They are in the midwest (Idon't know about the rest of the country). Their shop is next door to ours, they have had the same crews for years. they are building my new shop at the house, 30x75, 16' sidewalls one walk door and one 14x14 in the end. No windows or skylights, (neighbor kids don't need to know whats in here)
4" insulation, $21,900 on my pad.
Jim

Bill Hood
05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
I make a large percentage of my living erecting metal buildings, both post and beam and all steel. We use pre engineered trusses, weld ups and wood trusses. Usually wood frame and steel are the same, but with the price of steel, wood is about 25% cheaper (I figured a 30 x 80 with 20' awning at noon today.) We have erected agricultural and commercial buildings for 25 years and all of our steel sheets are 26 gauge and are galvalume (tm) and usually coated with paint ( 10 to 50 year warranty depending upon paint.) My supplier has stock pre designed buildings in stock for delivery to TX, LA, NM locations. With today's steel prices, a 30 x 40 with 12' sidewalls and one 12 x 10 rollup door and one 30x70 steel walk door is $5400 plus $300 (depending upon your proximity to one of their warehouses, it may be free) on site delivery fee with forklift on truck. That includes everything including the bolts, screws. calking tape, and even anchor bolts. You supply the concrete slab and purchase and insulation required. Windows can be cut into the walls wherever needed. I have friends who have put up the clear span type buildings and they take much more labor and time than a bolt together steel truss, steel skin. building. We install buildings this size with a backhoe and homebuilt stinger in the bucket. We also have a 10' man/platform that goes on top of bucket to use as work lift. Larger steel is usually hung with skytrack type forklift. Check in your region for metal building manufacturors, steel building component suppliers ect. Regional suppliers exist in most parts of the US. Good luck,

uncrichie
05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Most importantly, take the company brochure and spec sheet to your towns code enforcement division before doing anything. Ask them to review it before buying anything from the company. After all they will have the final say as to what you can and cannot build!!!!! Uncrichie...