PDA

View Full Version : Crazy posting issues..... Software misbehaving.

J Tiers
02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
The forum software has a new trick which has been going on for a few weeks.

It "Autosaves", and has for some time since the last upgrade.... I don't think that can be turned off, but I have only looked briefly for the setting.

In any case, I go to post.... I write my stuff, and then hit "submit". The BBS software then asks me the if I want to exit the page, warning me that my entry will be lost. (that happens to be a lie).

I normally tell it to exit, at which time it trundles for a bit, and then the BBS software informs me that I am not allowed to post twice so close together in time, that I must wait 15 seconds more before re-posting.

What has happened is that the BBS software seems to have already pre-posted the entry for me, and when I hit submit, it re-posts the same data, coming up against the timing error.

It's not critical, since it *usually* doesn't seen to really lose data, despite the stern warnings the BBS gives, but itis still unsettling enough that I normally save the post to the clipboard "just in case".

Only once did it actually throw away the post, and I did have it saved, but.....

lynnl
02-13-2014, 11:36 AM

It "Autosaves", and has for some time since the last upgrade.... I don't think that can be turned off, but I have only looked briefly for the setting.

In any case, I go to post.... I write my stuff, and then hit "submit". The BBS software then asks me the if I want to exit the page, warning me that my entry will be lost. (that happens to be a lie).

Hmmm! I get the 'Autosave" notice, but I haven't experienced (that I can recall) that second symptom you describe.

(added) ...nope, did not then either.

dp
02-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I've had that problem several times - often enough that I save my post to my clipboard before posting it.

bob_s
02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I think that it is a "time-out" issue.

PStechPaul
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I have had similar issues. I am using IE10 on Win7, and it has issues of its own. Lately, when I edit a post soon after submitting it, and click "SAVE", it just sits there and does nothing. I copied the modified portions (or the entire edited post) to the clipboard, and used the back arrow to return to the forum, and find that the post has not been updated. When I try again, it works every time. That may be a timing issue as well.

This forum software seems to refresh the page from time to time, so new posts appear, but usually I do a manual refresh to see what's new. But it seems that it does not accurately keep track of what threads have been viewed, and many of them revert from bold face to normal.

These are minor nits. More annoying is the limit on images and embedded videos, and the inability to upload files. I just upload images and other files to my own (shared) server where I have my websites, but that means that changes to my server organization may result in links that are no longer valid. At least by having the files stored under my own domain name allows me to change servers without invalidating the URLs. I switched from Dreamhost to 1and1 and replicated the file directories and contents, so the URLs did not change. But I did have to change folder permissions and add a .htaccess file set up appropriately.