PDA

View Full Version : lathe motor problem?

billnoy
04-20-2004, 11:12 PM
I have a dual voltage reversable 2hp ac motor on my lathe .Today, halfway through a project I turned on the switch and got the usual click (motor starter) but no spin. Checked to make sure that nothing was jamming it somehow but found nothing.Took off the belt ,still a no go.A few minutes later tried it again and it started,although it didnt start off right away,it did start though. So , does that sound like the motor,or maybe a capacitor ?
Does anyone know of a web sight that would help with the diagnosis of my problem?
Thanks in advance

darryl
04-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Start with the easy things to check, that would be the wiring in the connection box on the motor, and the box with the reversing switch on it. Power disconnected first, of course. Does the motor hum, but not start, or no noise at all?

G.A. Ewen
04-21-2004, 05:34 AM
CAUTION ! if your lathe is like mine (who-flung-dung) there could be a problem with the start relays. Back in January I turned on my lathe one evening and snap, crackle, poof the motor went up in flames. It turned out that both the forward and reverse relays had come on when I pushed the forward button.

Ted Coffey
04-21-2004, 08:20 AM
If the motor hums but does not turn then the capacitor is probably bad. If no hum, then no power to motor probably the relay or switch.

Alistair Hosie
04-21-2004, 09:28 AM
It may be a safety overload button for the motor. Sometimes it switches off to allow things to cool down check this to see if the motor is fitted with one Alistair

wierdscience
04-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Sounds like burnt contacts in the relay or a bad connection to me.Could possibly be a bad cap,but I doubt it since the motor did finally start.

billnoy
05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks again for the ideas, ( computer was down), as it turned out ,it was the start capacitor.The fellow that checked them for me said that capacitors are "service rated" and the original was a "toy". The new one looks much " Healthier" anyway.