PDA

View Full Version : Clausing/Kondia FV1 mill

metalmole
03-24-2014, 12:43 PM
I am looking at a Clausing/Kondia 9x49 mill that appears to be well taken care of and in great shape...Does anyone have any experience with these mills...pros-cons....thanks

Toolguy
03-24-2014, 01:06 PM
I used to run an old Hurco knee mill that was made with Kondia castings, they may have made the whole machine, not sure.
At any rate it was a well made and accurate machine. The mill was made in 1984.

J. R. Williams
03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
I had an old Kondia mill of the same size and it served me well for many years. It has been run hard and needed a little work. I added an early Toshiba VFD, one that was about a 12" cube size, that did a fine job.

toolznthings
03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
I have two, 9x42 and 9x49 that I bought new. First one about 1982 and second in 1997. Use them daily and they have been great mills.
Rebuilt drive on first mill, but that's it. Both have VFD drives now so less use of mechanical vari-drives.

metalmole
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I have two, 9x42 and 9x49 that I bought new. First one about 1982 and second in 1997. Use them daily and they have been great mills.
Rebuilt drive on first mill, but that's it. Both have VFD drives now so less use of mechanical vari-drives.

Thanks for the reply, what did it take to rebuild the drive, was it just making allot of noise before you rebuilt it ??

toolznthings
03-25-2014, 08:51 PM
It's a bit of a pain to take apart, but very do it yourself. I believe there is instructions in owners manual for belt replacement. I replaced the vari belt and the plastic splinned bushings and checked the upper support bearing. Yes, there was quite a bit of noise from the drive and I never let my equipment reach a point where one thing breaks another by over looking a simpler repair. Both my mills are Kondia badged Hurco and Clausing/Kondia. The Hurco/Kondia was Hurco's solution to the manual mill market.
Kondia and Lagun are good mills. In my opinion better than the series I BP.