PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Genes?

TGTool
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I picked this up from an article about stupid questions people encounter in their work. I've heard a few myself, but this just about takes the cake. And the clear answer is ... ?

The education system seems a prime source of inexplicably ridiculous questions — and not just from students. Ellen Burchett, an elementary school teacher, described how her attempt to explain special education to a group of parents went horribly wrong. She wrote: “I told them about IQ testing and educational testing and discrepancies, and they agreed that everything made sense. I asked if they had any questions.” Burchett wrote that one mother, earnestly replied, "’Well, that all sounds good, but when will they do the DNA testing?"

Burchett paused and explained again: “we do aptitude testing and compare it with how they're currently performing, but — as we're a school — we don't do any medical testing. Completely confused, [the mother] asked, ‘But, well, how will you know if he has the stupid gene?’,” she wrote.

“At a loss, I sputtered, ‘The - the - the what?’,” Burchett wrote. “The mother continued, ‘My husband and I both had it. It's a gene that makes you stupid. Does my son have it too?’"

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-02-2014, 02:19 PM
..yes, yes he has.

dfw5914
04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Seriously, that was an actual -for real- conversation?

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Seriously, that was an actual -for real- conversation?
Go work a day or two in retail and you will see just how many idiots there are. Especially if you work at the help desk or the returns desk. Makes you want to play russian roulette with a machine gun.

Deus Machina
04-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Go work a day or two in retail and you will see just how many idiots there are.

Yeah, I can't believe that there isn't a 'stupid gene'. It's handed down at a hundred levels.
But, yeah, working retail or any service just furthers my opinion that it's getting about time for a plague.

bobw53
04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
You might find this one funny, second grader, chosen to get up, put it on the overhead projector and explain it...

It says "future", none of the other kids picked up on it, and if they did, they kept their mouth shut.

The kid did not get to keep the piece of paper to take home to mom and ... probably just mom..

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7306/13226199285_0ac12e3eb0_c.jpg

TGTool
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
When I worked for Creative Labs tech support a number of years ago, one of the steady stream of issues was new drivers for various audio and video cards. One customer asked if we could just fax them the new drivers.

Yeah, maybe fax a picture of the disk and they could cut it out and insert it.

boslab
04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
There is a chromosome that apparently explains enhanced memory, no 22, so by default there must be, have even read that its possible to aquire reckless behaviour from a viral infection that cuts and pastes a couple of peices of genetic material, first observed in rats and mice, transmitted to cats and then to humans toxicara gondi from memory, has been found in certain accidents, alters the perception of risk
Funny old world, ive always maintained that cancer was a virus, spent many hours arguing with my brother in law who was a doctor, turns out it probably is.
Wonder if a lot of the mental illness around is viral?
Heart disease?
Often wondered if there was a virus thats benificial, perhaps there is, intelligence!
Mark

J Tiers
04-02-2014, 07:21 PM
oddly, you COULD have faxed the driver..... if the scanning that works for QR codes were enhanced for larger packets..... I wouldn't think it would be efficient, though, and the fax would need to be fairly good resolution.

And, clearly there IS a "stupid gene".... or at least a genetic predisposition to be less smart.... Smart folks tend to beget smart folks.... although once in a while non-smart folks do beget a very smart person.

Bob Fisher
04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever! The real scary part is that they can and do vote. Sometimes more than once and some even after they die. Bob.

flutedchamber
04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
[the mother] asked, ‘But, well, how will you know if he has the stupid gene?’

“At a loss, I sputtered, ‘The - the - the what?’,” Burchett wrote. “The mother continued, ‘My husband and I both had it. It's a gene that makes you stupid. Does my son have it too?’"

And these people actually vote.

Mcostello
04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
And procreate.

elf
04-02-2014, 09:38 PM
And the people you're labeling 'stupid' may be brilliant artists or even machinists :)

topct
04-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Everyone has it to some extent. What would be really stupid would be to think that you don't.

Deus Machina
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Yeah, to be fair, I never can get the ideas of electrical stuff down. I've done some pretty dumb stuff, but now generally have the common sense to think "This might be dumb. I'm going to check this first."
And whereas I might be a pretty good machinist (for what I do. I was making better stuff within a week of getting my mini-machines than some things I see, but a lot of you guys still trump me thoroughly), I started college for mechanical engineering and am now changing my major because I just can't get the grasp of trigonometry or calculus after the first couple months.
So, maybe just kind of blunt? Real stupid seems more pointed, to me.

The big problem is that true stupid is just so darn loud about it.

And, yeah, people amaze me. The really stupid ones try to out-breed natural selection, but one of the smartest guys I've met came from a mom whose job was raising kids from six different fathers, none of which could spell their name correctly. A classmate on a full scholarship had chemist parents, a valedictorian sister, and a herpy-derpy little brother.

saltmine
04-03-2014, 12:29 AM
That's the trouble with human breeding. No matter how hard we try, there will always be some in-breeding and evolutionary dead-ends. I live in an area where morons abound. And if they can't have abnormal children, they subject them to loud music, drugs & alcohol, to even the pile.

krutch
04-03-2014, 10:30 AM
The woman just spread that stupid gene with her question!

@Bob Fisher: I fear my parents are voting in chicago now that they have passed away. Probably at several polling places. They weren't afflicted with the stupid gene but who knows, now that they are "Resting".

Toolguy
04-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Two of my sayings that apply to this subject are:

The main difference between stupid and genius is that genius has limits.

and

A small mind is always attached to a big mouth.

kc5ezc
04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
While my surname is Burchett, I am probably more like the people who asked the question.
John Burchett

saltmine
04-03-2014, 06:27 PM
That's how we could tell if somebody was really dead, in Chicago, Krutch. Just look up their name in the Chicago Registered Voters Roster.

I didn't believe Osama Bin Laden was dead until I saw his name on the roster....BTW, he's a Republican.

Kevin B.
04-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Saltmine,

I believe the stupid gene originated in a small town in Wisconsin that should remain nameless.
I was discussing a construction project at the South Pole and was questioned as to how could I tolerate the heat down there!!! It was explained to me that the North Pole is very cold and the South Pole has to be very hot.

Regards,
Kevin B.

PJRitz
04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Even Duct Tape can't fix Stupid ............................... But it can muffle the sound

A.K. Boomer
04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
It's the designer genes that are stupid --- you pay twice the moneys and they last half as long,,,

wait for it............ ------------------------------------------------------- :p

as SJ would say,,, "I'll go get me coat"

Richard King
04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
One day when my son returned from his first day of the 11th Grade he told me "what a stupid" question his one teacher asked to the class. Once I heard the question I went to the school district and tried to get this teacher fired. I talked to other parents who their kids had told them the same story. The system protected him and he never lost one day of teaching. No wonder some of our kids seem to have the stupid gene. The school systems needs to be flushed. The question asked was " Do you fold or crunch up your toilet paper before you use it"

Deus Machina
04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Okay, that's not a logical question right off, but you might have to explain why, exactly, it's particularly stupid in itself or a terminable offense.

TGTool
04-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Maybe it was an introduction to philosophy.

boslab
04-04-2014, 05:06 AM
One day when my son returned from his first day of the 11th Grade he told me "what a stupid" question his one teacher asked to the class. Once I heard the question I went to the school district and tried to get this teacher fired. I talked to other parents who their kids had told them the same story. The system protected him and he never lost one day of teaching. No wonder some of our kids seem to have the stupid gene. The school systems needs to be flushed. The question asked was " Do you fold or crunch up your toilet paper before you use it"
Thinking about it the volume of the wad of paper that is scrunched is much larger than the volume of the paper that is folded, if your packing delicate glassware scrunching will fill a void qicker than folding as its final volume is higher, perhaps the teacher was not as stupid as it would appear!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228441.700-scrunch-time-the-peculiar-physics-of-crumpled-paper.html#.Uz52Hxm9KSM
Mark

vpt
04-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Saltmine,

I believe the stupid gene originated in a small town in Wisconsin that should remain nameless.
I was discussing a construction project at the South Pole and was questioned as to how could I tolerate the heat down there!!! It was explained to me that the North Pole is very cold and the South Pole has to be very hot.

Regards,
Kevin B.

hahaha, I bet that small town is around me somewhere.

Abner
04-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Reminds me of a dinner conversation with my daughter when she was in High School. Asking her about school she blurts out 'I want to be a stupid kid'...I hit the roof...my wife asks why. The stupid kids have it easy - if they don't do their homework or get it wrong the teachers don't care it's no big deal- what do you expect they are a stupid kid. But she felt she wasn't given any slack. Didn't get you homework done or not an A the teacher would come over and talk with her. She deducted life would be way easier to be one of the stupid kids.

...and now what do you say to an obviously intelligent observation?

Yes that is true but you don't get to do that....
and no she didn't get lazy, she is in manager of the payroll dept of a multinational retirement home company.

Richard King
04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
He was the Drama teacher. If i had though of the amount of Drama this would create I would have now told the group about it.