PDA

View Full Version : Help! Crawfish are killing me.

GKman
04-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Repaired a pond dam last fall. Contractor recommended moving washed out tube to a new location in virgin soil so we did. He did a thorough job cleaning out the washout, backfilling and compacting. Leaking about a quart a minute this spring looks like out of a crawfish hole. There are other holes that look like crawfish holes in the top of the dam at the new fill. There were numerous tunnels in the washout but looked like we had cleaned them all out.

I think Bentonite tamped at the pond side would plug the leak but the culprits would just dig through it. Wouldn't mind mixing something with it to kill them but not cattle downstream. At least for every quart that is leaking through about ten gallons of water goes through the tube to dilute it. Sometimes use copper sulfate to kill algae. ??

Any ideas?

wierdscience
04-10-2014, 09:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/CRAWFISH_zps5a55fb20.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wierdscience/media/CRAWFISH_zps5a55fb20.jpg.html)

wierdscience
04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Board is double posting again.

spongerich
04-10-2014, 10:04 PM
You should find out what eats them (besides wierdscience) and think about introducing whatever it is into your pond.

... and when winter comes, the gorillas will freeze to death.

wierdscience
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
All kidding aside,the only way I know to keep mudbugs out is a layer of compacted crushed limestone or crushed wash gravel.Those little buggers have been around a long time,they are built to survive.

Rustybolt
04-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Small mouth bass. Their favorite food is crawfish.

vpt
04-10-2014, 10:37 PM
The crushed rock or gravel works good. A tight wire mesh screen buried in the bank also works for keeping them out. Bass do like them! :D

kendall
04-10-2014, 11:11 PM
The crushed rock or gravel works good. A tight wire mesh screen buried in the bank also works for keeping them out. Bass do like them! :D

This was my thought as well, or, depending on size, roof membrane under a layer of sand and gravel on pond side.

HWooldridge
04-10-2014, 11:54 PM
That's interesting. We have oodles of mudbugs around here and I've never seen a tank spring a leak due to a burrow because they usually don't dig that deep. Makes me wonder if the leak is due to something else. Most of our local soil is nice heavy clay and holds water like a tin bucket but you can go 40 miles southeast or 20 miles southwest and the farmers are usually forced to line with bentonite. You might consider pumping it dry then adding 2-3 inches of clay and tilling it into the tank bottom before compacting again. Draining the tank will also let you inspect below the water line prior to repair.

vpt
04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Thinking about this more, we need to know how wide the dikes are? If you are getting threw holes from crabs it doesn't sound like they are very wide at all. The dikes (dykes? which one holds water and is dirty? lol) around our ponds are at least 25-30 feet wide. They are layered from the pond side out they are: rock, clay, soil/dirt, and finally rock again on the opposite side of the pond. We also plant field grass on the dikes to hold up against erosion.

Doozer
04-11-2014, 09:14 AM
What the heck are you all talking about
????????????

-D

davidh
04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I thought there was a market for those crawdads, seriously. . . . maybe that's farther south.
crayfish, doozer

Rosco-P
04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Repaired a pond dam last fall. Contractor recommended moving washed out tube to a new location in virgin soil so we did. He did a thorough job cleaning out the washout, backfilling and compacting. Leaking about a quart a minute this spring looks like out of a crawfish hole. There are other holes that look like crawfish holes in the top of the dam at the new fill. There were numerous tunnels in the washout but looked like we had cleaned them all out.

I think Bentonite tamped at the pond side would plug the leak but the culprits would just dig through it. Wouldn't mind mixing something with it to kill them but not cattle downstream. At least for every quart that is leaking through about ten gallons of water goes through the tube to dilute it. Sometimes use copper sulfate to kill algae. ??

Any ideas?

Washed out tube? An overflow? Is this a pipe running stright through the dam at the intended water height? Does it have anti-seep collars cemented to it?

Rosco-P
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM

Any ideas?

Washed out tube? An overflow pipe set at the desired water level, running stright through the dam? If so, does it have anti-seep collars cenented to it?

If you could find a market for frew crawfish, netting and selling them might be the best method of control. Otherwise, I'd contact your states Ag. college and see if they can suggest some solutions for control.

dp
04-12-2014, 05:02 AM
I think a daily barrage of cherry bombs would solve the problem quickly. If cherry bombs are not allowed in the region then propane cannons that detonate under water would suffice. They sure work in the orchards around here to keep the birds off the fruit trees.

Glug
04-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry
Those damn crawfish have got to die
I gotta get a pot have a party and make them die

Glug
04-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry
Them damn crawfish must die
Them damn crawfish must be cooked in a pot til they die