PDA

View Full Version : table top mill

laddy
05-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey,
I picked up a table top milling machine on ebay. It was advertised as an ATB made in Austria. I think it is an Emco. I need to get an endmill holder. The 1/2 inch spindle has about a half inch threading with about a 26TPI . I have tried to buy an endmill holder because everybody says you should not hold the end mill in a chuck. I am not getting very far. Anybody have an idea of a source. Either I get a run around or no response. Thanks in advance for the help. Fred

Evan
05-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm guessing that spindle is threaded the same as my Unimat. That would be 12mm dia by 1mm thread pitch, very close to 1/2 X 26tpi but not close enough. You will need to look for a metric part.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-11-2004).]

Evan
05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Check this page for the

"Mill Collet Set, #1MT w/drawbolt 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" - use these milling collets for holding miniature size end mills (3/16" or 1/4" shank), #1 and smaller center drills, or DremelĀ® bits (1/8" shank), and assorted other cutters."

http://www.catfish-hollow.com/sher-chucks.html

This may be what you need. I'm only guessing though.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-11-2004).]

SGW
05-11-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't know who "everybody" is who says you shouldn't hold an end mill in a collet. I do it all the time, with no problem (R8). A friend of mine has a mill with Morse #2, likewise no problem holding end mills.

ACF
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Fred,

If it is an Emco, blueridge machinery has parts for them, but they're going to be expensive.

Chris

Paul Alciatore
05-11-2004, 09:16 PM
The advise against holding an end mill in a chuck is likely from the full size mill people and is good advise in that relm. However, in a small, tabletop mill, I see no harm in it. I have chucked small (that's SMALL, I said) end mills in the three jaw and Jacobs chucks on my Unimat and never had a bit of trouble. The Unimat is not powerful enough to get you into any trouble in this respect and the smaller chucks are more accurate than their full size brothers. An end mill that is not dead on center will likely only cut on one flute.

The biggest end mill I have done this with is 1/4".

I suspect that if you want actual end mill holders for this beast, you may have to make them. If you want the best accuracy, I would look into collets instead.

Paul A.

SGW
05-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Opps - I can't read. Yes, proceed with caution when holding end mills in a chuck!

Stepside
05-12-2004, 09:46 AM
If there is a drawbar to pull the collets in or to hold the taper of the tool holder then make a new drawbar to fit the holders you can buy. Are you looking at the threaded mount for a chuck that needs to be removed so you can use collets and endmill holders?. I would suspect this to be the case---If so, remove and use it to identify the taper in the mill head so you can buy the correct tool holders. Post a picture and we will all look at your problem.