PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Introduction

Bob Bueling
05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Greetings all. First post after looking through the archives a couple days.

I've just purchased a fairly old Vertical mill and have used it as a very nice drill press, but plan may other projects in the future. I'll have many questions for you all and will try to do my best at not posting any of the FARTTs (Frequently Asked Recuring Topics/Threads).

I've done a lot of fabrication with makeshift tool set-ups, but I have no real training. This is my first real machining tool and I'm starting what I know will be a very steep learning curve, but I've been there before and have done pretty well. I think what I need is a "Machining for Dummies". I've collected from other posts the following book titles and will try to get some to start (if not all eventually).

Machining & Metalworking Handbook - McGraw Hill

The Homeshop Machinist Handbook

Tabletop Machining - Joe Martin

Machine Tool Technology - McKnight Publishing

Machinist's & Toolmaker's Handy Book - Audel

Initial projects right now are modifying Air Cooled VW parts and various parts on a Baja Bug I'm building. I've got lots of applications (they're coming faster than I can write them down) but I really need to learn to use the tool and maintain it. I'll post under a different topic, specific questions.

Thanks for all I've learned from you posts already and for your help in the future.

Bob Bueling
Port Hueneme, CA

John Stevenson
05-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Bob, First off welcome aboard.

As regards books first one to get to go with your mill is one called Milling and Milling Machines by the Cincinnati Company.
This is reprinted by Lidsey Publications and is one of the best all round books for milling, as I said it's a reprint but a good one.

Covers just about anything that can be done on a mill from simple to complex.
Often you just need a setup photo to jog you in the right direction.

The other books are fine but IMHO the Joe Martin book is expensive for what it is, just an advert for the litle tiny Sherline machines, not a practical book.

John S.

jfsmith
05-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the board. As much as I read, I find this BBS to be a great help where the books leave off. Plus as I recommend to a lot folks, make friends with a local machinist and spend some time with him/her, they are a wealth of knowledge.

One book I found with the woodworking bunch is the Jigs and Fixtures Bible, I found it with the WoodWorker's Book Club (which I am not affiliated with, except as a customer, gives me a lot of help making jogs and setup gadgets. They have a website;
www.woodworkersbookclub.com. (http://www.woodworkersbookclub.com.)

Jerry

jeastwood
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Welcome aboard. Fred Colvin's "How to run a Milling Machine" seems to be thought of pretty highly by several of the members. I haven't read it myself.

PSD KEN
05-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Joe Martin's book is a autobiography, coupled to Sherline Ads.
Another good one is The Amatuer's Lathe, by L.H.Sparey.
He can pack a lot of info into a page.

[This message has been edited by PSD KEN (edited 05-11-2004).]

wierdscience
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the asylmn! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BJim Shell
05-12-2004, 01:54 AM
I like the concept of FARTTS. Or is this old stuff? This BB very helpful even to old farts. I`ve learned a lot lurking,a lot of it verry helpfull. LHJim

abn
05-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Welcome! The more gear head machinists the better. Maybe start by looking at the lubrication posts here. A lot of beginners (myself included) use(d) improper lubricants. In a machine designed for industrial duty it would probably last for years in a home environment even lubed with old bacon grease, but its nice to do things right.

Bob Bueling
05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Lubrication is one of the things I have the biggest uncertanties about. Both on the ways and for the milling bits.

Almost all of the pictures and videos I've seen of milling in progress, it appears that there is no lubrication at all offered to the bit. I'm pretty anal about using Tap Magic or another cutting lub when I'm drilling so I figured that would apply to milling also.

Spindle speed is another thing that I'm confused with. There was a video linked on one of the other threads that made me really think about it. In that video it seemed to me that the spindle speed was very high. Chips were flying high and fast.

RE: FARTTs, This term is pretty common on some of the lists that I'm on, particularly Type2.com (Bay window VW Vans/Buses 1968-1978 with a few years of air-cooled Vanagans thrown in). Like clockwork someone will ask a question that rekindles a flamewar that happened 5-6 months before. It can be avoided by looking in the archives. I tried to do that. Thanks all for the info and patience for the newbies!