PDA

View Full Version : Coventry die head

Richard P Wilson
04-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I've just bought a 3/4" Coventry die head by Alfred Herbert, together with 10 sets of chasers. The chasers are good, most in their original boxes, and some may never have been used. Included in the deal was a resharpening jig, but I'd like a few tips on how to use the jig. I've got a Mk1 Clarkson T&C grinder, so hopefully, that's what I'll be using the jig on.

Richard Wilson

DR
04-14-2014, 02:32 PM
You really need to find a booklet describing how to use the jig. I have J&L tangential chasers and the special jig, it's far from obvious how to use the jig so I have to consult the instruction booklet to get the various angles correct. the J&L are complicated enough I couldn't begin to describe how to do them without diagrams.

Your Coventry head chasers may be close enough to the common Geometric style to use the Geometric instructions. I'm guessing the Geometric instructions might be online since that was such a popular head.

Timleech
04-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Try to find 'The Book of the Coventry Die Head', look for it on ebay. There are probably paper or digital copies of it on there. It'll tell you more than you need to know.

Tim

Edit - just checked, you'll get a better deal on abebooks.

Richard P Wilson
04-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Tim
I've just ordered a copy from abebooks, so hopefully that will tell me all I need to know.
Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Richard