PDA

View Full Version : saddle adjustment on atlas lathe

jrmason
05-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm having trouble adjusting the cross slide on the atlas lathe..when moving cutter into stock I can see movement in the cutter..as though there is play in the saddle?? Any suggestion on how to get that plat out and have it good an ridged.

SGW
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Just adjust the gib for the desired smooth, shake-free fit. (Sometimes easier said than done....) If there is significant wear, you may never be able to get proper adjustment over the full range of cross slide travel.

You may be also seeing "normal" tool deflection. Cast iron and steel are remarkably elastic substances, and the Atlas, while an adequate home lathe, is nowhere near as massive as, say, a Monarch.

Alistair Hosie
05-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Careful your not attempting too deep a cut for the size of the lathe.Alistair

J Tiers
05-12-2004, 05:16 PM
There could be movement in any or all of the junctions between pieces from the cutter all the way thru the compound, saddle, bed, headstock, spindle, chuck chuck jaws, and work.

And, you may see "relative" movement, but it might not be the thing you think that is really moving. Your eye isn't calibrated. I sometimes would swear the spindle or headstock moved, but it was really the work or cutter. Depends on where your eye is focused.

Possibles (not a complete list)

"Spring" in cutter holder
Loose cutter in toolpost
Loose toolpost on compound
Loose gibs on compound to crosslide
Loose gibs on crosslide to carriage
Loose gibs on carriage to bed
Wear on any of the above parts allowing movement
Normal "spring" in any or all of the above
loose headstock clamps
Loose spindle bearings
Chuck not seated right