PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Houston TX. What are the must see's

hoof
04-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone, Will be in Houston on May 5th to the 8th. Just wondering what kind of surplus stores and machine junkyards Houston has to offer? I'll have a little extra time to persue hobby related activities. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks

Ray

metalmagpie
04-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Related, I'll be driving west to east across Canada this fall, dipping down into the Midwest to visit folks in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan before heading back north and east. Any must-see sites along the way?

Weekend_Scientist
04-24-2014, 05:37 PM
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is excellent. Sorry, no surplus metal there but a really great mineral display.

Also, you can visit NASA if you're on the southeast side of town (Clear Lake)

There's a great fine arts museum just a few blocks from the natural science museum. AND....they do have at least a bit of scrap metal. Someone got their hands on a metal plating basket with nickel nodules growing off it. They called it "art" :p and stuck it on display in the museum.

Enjoy your trip!

daryl bane
04-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Only if you follow "that other machinist board", but there are some great hotdog stands/carts down there. :)

J. R. Williams
04-24-2014, 07:41 PM
The county has the old Astrodome for sale -cheap.

randyjaco
04-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Stay through Saturday May 10th and catch the Art Car Parade. It is a hoot and always a fun Saturday

Randy

KiddZimaHater
04-24-2014, 09:05 PM
The Battleship TEXAS is in LaPorte, right outside of Houston.
Go below deck and snoop around for the Machine Shop. :)
Battleship USS TEXAS (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/battleship-texas)

fjk
04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
galveston railroad museum
http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com/

frank

hoof
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for the travel idea's. I think this is what amkes this board as awesome as it is. Allways find the info I'm looking for. Very pleasent folks. Thanks again.

Hoof (Ray)