X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Lifting a Table Saw Question

It's time to move my Jet 10" cabinet saw (about 500 lbs). I'd like to lift it into the moving truck from the ground with a cherry picker but can't find anything on the saw that looks like a safe strapping feature. Anyone tried this? Plan B is to put it on a furniture dolly but those are pretty tippy.
  • BigMike782
    • Dec 2008

To pick up my Unisaw I wrapped a sling around/under the table and used my chainfall....worked just fine.
    Last edited by BigMike782; 04-27-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Ironwoodsmith
      • Jun 2013

I have always used the table to lift mine. They are usually installed with 4 large fasteners.

Comment

• darryl
        • Jan 2003

From what I've seen, the table, trunnions, motor- all the heavy stuff is part of the table or hanging from it. I think you could strap around the table and lift it like that.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• dp
          • Mar 2005

I've opted to first try rolling it up the ramp on a pair of furniture dollies, somewhat on it's side. If that fails the table will have to handle the load. I have a 200lb foot kicker potter's wheel bench to move too and that has no support at all, so it will get the same treatment.

Comment

• JRouche
            • Aug 2004

500lbs? Thats a beast. Ive moved some top heavy stuff and its not fun. I think the saw is prolly top heavy? Nice table? Unlike some machines she can be tilted and placed on the table with a moving blanket under the table. Get her upside down and she might be more manageable? Then the dolly will make it a easy process. JR

Comment

• Willy
              • Oct 2005

The 4 large fasteners (usually) that hold the table to the saw are more than ample to support the weight of the saw.
              I used to worry about removing a big block V-8 and automatic transmission using an engine lifting eye bolted to the carburetor mounting flange of the intake manifold. Four 5/16" studs don't inspire a lot of confidence at first glance but the strength is definitely there.

They should make a lift gate a standard on those moving trucks, I mean really, not everyone has a loading dock at either end of a move.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                • May 2002

Boy, I'm glad my 10" table saw only weighs 20 or 30 pounds. Aluminum and a light weight motor. I just pick it up and put it down where I want it. And I have a bad back.
                Paul A.
                s
                Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• jlevie
                  • Oct 2013

When I've had to do this (without a forklift) I have removed the table and just used a hand truck to move each piece up a ramp into the truck. Or, if the right equipment is available, a pair of straps under the table can be used to safely hoist it.

Comment

• dp
                    • Mar 2005

What I ended up doing is: All the table extensions, rails, and riving blade came off, I used the cherry picker to put the base on a furniture dolly, then used the lift to tip it gently on it's side with the table edge on a second dolly. The strap ran parallel to the blade arbor and there was enough room between the cabinet and the table to fish it through. My wife and I rolled it up the U-Haul ramp, and because the truck is on an inclined driveway, it pushed me all the way to the front of the truck deck. I think some previous possibly unhappy renter sprayed the inside deck with WD40. No traction at all for my deck shoes. Wish I'd have learned that by loading a box of pillows

I used the same technique to load my radial arm saw.

Comment

• dave5605
                      • Apr 2008

Well, a little late to this rodeo but I would have considered running two straps down thru the hole in the table top and hooking them on to the feet and lifting that way. The hole in the top would have kept everything relatively upright.

Comment

Working...
                      X