X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boot
    • Feb 2010

Rant on Shipping

I bought $35 worth of tool steel and bronze yesterday and the standard shipping was $22 when is it going to end? I just made a 450 mile round trip for $50 with car and trailer to save $170 on shipping. There has to be a reduction pretty soon or we aren't going to be able to buy anything that has to be shipped to us. The post office is going broke. They should learn a little from UPS or trucking companies. One unhappy Boot
  • rklopp
    • Feb 2003

Sure, and how many hours did you get paid for while saving $170 on shipping? If you are retired, fine, but if you are a working stiff, you paid an opportunity cost.

Comment

• DFMiller
      • Jan 2005

I am confused. Did you mean $220?
      Was the stuff oversized? Was it same day delivery?
      Those rates even sound excessive in Canuckistan.
      I guess you made $170 buck for 1 days driving. Hopefully the scenery was pleasant
      Dave

Comment

• BigMike782
        • Dec 2008

I ordered a hydraulic valve and to have it shipped 3 states away was 12.00 which I thought was a little high but it's cheaper than going to get it. Then I see it takes 7-10 days to ship my order. They must use a turtle with a milk crate on its back for picking orders.....WTF?

Comment

• mooney1el
          • Mar 2006

I understand the frustration and am concerned about where this is all heading. That said, the current IRS vehicle mileage allowance is $.56/mile ( and these are usually considered low), so your 450 mile trip cost $252 in vehicle expenses (fuel, insurance, depreciation, maintenance etc); not to mention the cost of your time and the trailer expense. I am at the point where I consider the cost of running to the hardware store before jumping in the truck and heading out, usually thinking about what else can be done for efficiency while out and about.

Comment

• KiddZimaHater
            • May 2007

I've noticed the price of shipping is more expensive than the price of material lately.
            I'd rather buy locally, and take my time picking it up.

Comment

• timetraveller
              • Sep 2013

Well get ready, because pretty soon we will be ordering EVERYTHING online and paying for shipping. That's when all the brick and mortar stores close because they can't match internet prices.

I was in a rush at Christmas 3 years ago and I sent a bag of kettle corn (size of a loaf of bread) to a friend via USPS Priority 2-day mail. It cost $11 shipping. The kettle corn itself was only $3.50. It was that Christmas that I decided no more shipping Christmas presents, I simply buy gift cards.

I live 185 miles from the Williamsport, PA Grizzly store. I will be driving there to pick up my new lathe and other peripheral equipment.

Bill
              Rochester, NY

Comment

• Ridgerunner
                • Jan 2009

I bought a 5 lb. ABC fire extinguisher from McMaster and a few other things. $58 for the fire extinguisher, $11.92 shipping, $27.50 UPS hazard fee. I love McMaster but they don't list shipping before the items are already on the way so it can be shocking some times.

Comment

• lakeside53
                  • Nov 2007

I can order from Amazon and have an ever-increasing list items within 4 hours by local delivery. For $8-9 I can't drive my POS truck anywhere to pick it up. Or if I can wait a week, it's "free".
                  Last edited by lakeside53; 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• cuemaker
                    • Nov 2004

****.. my reply went to lala land.. damn...

Basic point was.. we buy all our month use items from Amazon...Soaps, cleaning supplies, TP, tooth brushes..deodorant etc etc...EVERYTHING.. because we get free shipping and 15% off on 5 items or more that are setup for monthly delivery.

We have seen a large benefit...We dont run out of supplies, we dont go to Walmart any more, plus Amazon is cheaper (before the 15% discount) than the physical Walmart (about the same online price)..

Benefits: Dont go to Walmart anymore, dont pay for gas, dont pay tax, we support our local grocer much more now, etc..
                    Cons: Having a box of TP sitting at your front door..

Which brings up another thought..this situation is really helping my local grocer. We are buying much more from them because they are close. Yes, food prices are more, but the meat prices seem comparable and a much much better quality.
                    Last edited by cuemaker; 05-01-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

Shipping volume is down and fuel prices are up.There are two choices for business that ship a lot.Either go with economy where the shipping company holds freight until they get full or nearly full loads before moving,or pay more for a express shipment in a half empty truck.

I also find myself buying more from McMaster because they still have cheap rates and fast service.Got a 3' length of 1-1/4 x 36 8620 from Chicago and a coolant nozzle from Atlanta $17.50 shipping for both.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Glug
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                        The post office is going broke. They should learn a little from UPS or trucking companies. One unhappy Boot
                        I think the post office is doing pretty great. It is the mandate to fund pensions for, what is it, 70 years? That is what is causing them so much finanical distress. It seems to be a way for some to kill the USPS indirectly.

There are a number of large corporations that would like the USPS to go out of business. Fedex and UPS among them.

USPS Priority mail is a great, great deal. It also fuels a lot of small businesses that would not be able to economically deliver and obtain product without it. It is how I ship my products to my customers. $5.15 vs. $15 for fedex. Large corporate volume customers of UPS and Fedex get much better rates than us little guys. You think Amazon pays anything close to what you do for 2nd or next day shipping?

On those Enco sales, for the stuff I order it is often more important to get free shipping than a 20% discount. Especially when you order long stuff.

Comment

• PStechPaul
                          • Oct 2013

It has been shown that home delivery may be more efficient, and thus "greener", than making trips to the store. This would be especially true if delivery vehicles were electric, which is highly efficient for such stop-and-go driving within a fairly short distance from the distribution point:
                          Getting groceries delivered may be the easiest environmentally friendly thing you've ever done, new research says. Think of it as your food taking mass transit.

The use of drones for small shipments is another emerging concept that should increase efficiency and decrease road traffic, while also providing same-day delivery.
                          Amazon's secret R&D project aimed at delivering packages to your doorstep by "octocopter" mini-drones with a mere 30-minute delivery time
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                            • Oct 2002

There's so much price pressure these days sells are often using shipping charges as a profit center.

Another point: USPS is going broke because anit-government nutcases in Congress rammed through a poison pen bill requiring the Post Office to pre-pay retirement certain benefits for a rediculous number of years. If USPS was treated like any other Federal agency they would be healthy and even earning a profit Congree could rip-off to fund junkets, investigations, and fact finding missions.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                              • May 2002

How to reduce shipping costs:

1. Consolidate orders. Make a list and wait until you have a fair sized order or a high priority item.

2. Specify "Hold shipping until complete". Do not allow them to ship partial orders unless it is absolutely necessary.

3. The big guys can and probably do get discounts on shipping. Enough said.

4. I love USPS Priority mail, fixed rate. Anything that will fit in their box ships for one price and they supply the box. Ask for it when you order.

5. Do compare the rates for various services. The larger suppliers will have a table available on their web sites. A slower delivery will probably save money. The private companies will NOT deliver any sooner than promised so be prepared to wait for it. USPS will deliver faster if it works out that way: a big plus for them.

And, if time is important, I find that the private companies (UPS, FedEX, etc.) will deliver to my home after 5PM unless AM delivery is specified and paid for. The USPS will deliver on their schedule and that is 1-2 PM for my location. That's at least four hours faster for the same level of service. I like it.

In case you can't see it above, I do favor the USPS and I urge you to use them to help keep them in business. For those of you in other countries, you will have to make your own observations.
                              Paul A.
                              s
                              Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X