How do you bore with quill on Excello 602?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oxford
    • Jun 2011

How do you bore with quill on Excello 602?

I am used to the Bridgeport type power quill setup. My normal operation with boring to a shoulder, which may or may not be correct, is to set a quill stop for the depth I want and then let it bore down until it hits it and then it "pops" out on its own. I then can raise the quill back up with the handle and start over again.

The Excello 602 has a different setup than a Bridgeport does. I understand what all the levers do( I think) but what is the proper technique for boring to a shoulder and then raising the quill back up? Does the "friction clutch" slip when it hits a stop? Do you use the reverse feed to bring the quill back up? It seemed like in the middle of feed down and reverse feed there was a "neutral" where the quill would come back up with the handle with out backing the clutch out. The manual doesn't say much about using this. Thanks.
  • camperkn
    • Sep 2009

Your understanding of the Excello clutch operation is correct. When boring, when the spindle travel hits the stop, the clutch slips and the tool dwells at this spot. You can then manually retract the spindle without changing the friction clutch setting. It is not necessary to either reverse the feed or shift it into neutral. Hope this helps.
    John

Comment

Working...
    X