PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with aftermarket cruise controls?

SGW
05-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking of adding an aftermarket cruise control to my car. Right now I'm looking at the Rostra Global Cruise.

Does anybody have any experience with Rostra cruise control installation, or aftermarket cruise controls in general, that they can share?

Thanks
Steve

jfsmith
05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I put an after market cruise control on my 93 Corolla, it worked O.K. Fine tuning it was the problem, that took me about 4 hours. It worked great until I got rid of the car three years ago.

Jerry

CCWKen
05-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Get the kind that taps off the speed sensor on the transmission or has it's own in-line sensor. If you don't, you'll have to glue magnets and mount a pickup coil. Not hard but a PITA and the magnets have to be 180* offset to be accurate.

If your car is RWD, the magnets are glued to the drive shaft. If FWD, the magnets are glued to an inner halfshaft CV joint. THEN... you have to mount the pickup coil. This is how most of the universal CC's mount their sensors.

That's why I say look for one that is model specific and has the "tap" setup. (Most vehicles after 1992 with electronic ignition already have speed sensors on the transmission or behind the speedometer head.)

PSD KEN
05-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Or, in the rear diff. also used for ABS

Quick Change
05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
I got a unit from JC Whitney years ago for a Vanagon. It worked off of engine vacuum and had two magnets zip-tied to one of the CV joints. It worked, but not well. It had trouble setting and would sometimes continue accelerating when you were trying to set it. Also, the gutless Vanagon didn't help since the unit would cut out when the slightest hill or wind caused the vacuum to drop too much (I had a vacuum gage on the car)

Gerryrig
05-17-2004, 12:29 AM
I put one on a Geo Metro that cost about $100 at the Auto Parts store. Worked fine for about 4 years. Then I must have gotten moisture in it that froze and it quit working. I may put another one on again.
Gerry