PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on where to find South Bend Lathe Parts (not ebay)

jeffconti
06-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Gents, I've been patient with eBay and have yet to see a SB 9 switch mounting bracket. My lathe is nearly complete (1946) and I'm getting ready to restore it. I'd really like to find the proper bracket. I've done some searching on google and there are lots of discussions on the lathe and various restoration topics but I don't want to buy a new one (from over the pond) even if they make one.

Thanks

metalmagpie
06-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Goodwill?

Richard King
06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Go to Surplusrecord.com and put in wanted ad. You may have to buy a complete machine or you might get lucky and a dealer might have a parts machine.

mikem
06-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Joe Bergamo at www.plazamachinery.com has lots of south bend parts. He is a good guy but sometimes a little slow since he lives in the backwoods of Vermont and is a one man operation.

J Tiers
06-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Have you tried ebay?*

Seriously, it's time to make a functional bracket, use it, and see if later you can find one. Very specific and somewhat secondary items like that are not commonly found alone.

That type of part is often lost during the life of the machine, and many are the sort of part that the folks who "part out" machines just automatically throw away without bothering to list anywhere, since nobody will want one. It can be almost like trying to find an original "dauber" to go in the tailstock....

Maybe that part is different, but I wouldn't count on it, and for sure I would not let it hold up the entire restoration and use of the machine.

*:D couldn't resist....

kitno455
06-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Ted Pflugner latheman2@aol.com is a former SB manager who has a bunch of parts. Also, you might try Craig Donges craigdonges@yahoo.com Also, you should consider joining the south bend forum at practicalmachinist.com. There are a bunch of guys on there always parting out something, and a lot of good SB specific knowledge.

allan

spongerich
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Are you looking for the one that mounts on the headstock pulley guard?
I think I have a couple of them floating around. Shoot me a PM with a part number or a picture if you can and I'm happy to take a look.

justanengineer
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
JMHO, but Id suggest fabbing one and simply wait until you find a steal on one cheap as your lathe likely never had one originally. Older SBs are like all of the smaller older machines - most everything was an option. Many folks bought a machine sans motor, guards, switches, etc and simply added their own to save cost.

My Atlas shaper is the same way, everything was an option and many folks post on the various boards searching for original motors, belt guards, etc, wondering "where" the originals all disappeared to, not realizing that originals never existed for most.

Alistair Hosie
06-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Surely as an engineer, or someone at least with interest in such, you should be able to cobble up something useable with what machinery tools and materials even if you join a local engineers club and get advice help..I wish you well Alistair

Bob Fisher
06-02-2014, 04:30 PM
I can understand your aversion to the Bay, but it really is the best source for stuff like that. I bought a complete backgear Assy for my Logan for$80, a banjo casting with a couple gears ad studs for $75, and a couple change gears for a very reasonable amount. Sometimes, you just got to do what what you gotta do. Bob. BTW, what makes the bracket so special that you cannot make a reasonable facsimile?

GEP
06-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Have you tryied Grizzly they hold the rights to South Bend lathe. I fund labels for my 16" SB. Kinda salty but they had what i needed

browne92
06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s551/browne92/DSC01069_zps11f914ce.jpg (http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/browne92/media/DSC01069_zps11f914ce.jpg.html)