PDA

View Full Version : Horizantel Shop made Knee Mill attchment

GEP
06-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I bean searching the files no luck. Does any one remember the thread on the shop made horizantel knee mill attachment
Thanks

Optics Curmudgeon
06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
This one?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/60843

Notice the spelling of "horizontal"

GEP
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
This one?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/60843

Thank You thats the one

radkins
06-03-2014, 05:10 AM
DANG IT!!!! I just finished a project that would have been easier with this attachment, now look what you guys have done!!!!! I was just yesterday thinking that it might be possible to build such an attachment, don't know how I missed that other thread but no matter because I see it now and my next project will start this week. THANK YOU for bringing this up!

GEP
06-03-2014, 07:17 AM
DANG IT!!!! I just finished a project that would have been easier with this attachment, now look what you guys have done!!!!! I was just yesterday thinking that it might be possible to build such an attachment, don't know how I missed that other thread but no matter because I see it now and my next project will start this week. THANK YOU for bringing this up!

radkins
Let us know how it goes. Can you make 2 while your at it ?

JoeLee
06-03-2014, 08:31 AM
I've always been kind of leery of using one of the RA adapters for any side milling or boring. Small diameter end mills, OK as there is less chance of snagging. Drilling I'm comfortable with but milling or side cutting............. The mills quill does rotate slightly in it's bore, any snag of the end mill could cause this to happen, and if the RA adapter slips on the quill it could be good by quill. I think it was really designed to be used with the long arbor and the support bracket / bearing. But I know people use it as a stand alone adapter.

JL..................

radkins
06-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Removed post because after thinking about what I was suggesting it is obviously a perfectly DUMB idea that would not work, that's what I get for posting before thinking it over! :o

Norman Bain
06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I like the idea of putting the gears in the tube cage ... that may well simplify things.

Below is image of something I have tinkered with from time to time.

The need to stop the spindle from doing its "slight twist" thing is resolved by anchoring the rig to the mills dovetail.

http://downloads.purposebuilt.com.au/NJB/MillRightAngleAttachement/RightAngleCutterAttachment.PNG

What is lost (leastways thus far in the design) is the ability to change the angle of the cut.

Cheers,
Norman

radkins
06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
If anyone is interested I found those gears on Amazon that were mentioned in the "How to" article for building one of these things,

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-L152BY-G-Bevel-Pressure/dp/B004N62RBC

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-L152BY-P-Bevel-Pinion/dp/B004N62RBW

Found here,

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/11/newsletter1109.pdf#page=6

I found that article when I followed the link provided here by OC to the other thread on this site, looks like a very do-able project! Those two gears from Boston gear are on Amazon for around $100 for both parts, the rest looks to be items that can be scrounged locally and in fact except for the bearings I probably have everything on hand already.

ammcoman2
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Since building the one referred to by Optics Curmudgeon, I have found another way to skin the cat!

This article in HMEM http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f28/horizontal-milling-attachment-23003/ uses a potentially less expensive (and quieter?) gear set. Worth considering.

Geoff

A.K. Boomer
06-03-2014, 07:00 PM
]

I think he's "bean" looking for that :p

it's all good GEP were not the spelling Nazi's ------- but do at least straighten out your signature post, there's nothing wrong with being incorrect once in awhile but your sig post makes it a guarantee that you will be wrong every single time :p

Black Forest
06-04-2014, 01:22 AM
I bean searching the files no luck. Does any one remember the thread on the shop made horizantel knee mill attachment
Thanks

Because of the comment about spelling I thought I would help you out GEP with your signature line.

It should read: The Ho that doesn't believe in values has no values!;)

GEP
06-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Boomer
My spelling is bad i addmit but are we here for spelling corrections ? Ah i know you sit in front of the computer all day and find false with others. Get a life

GEP
06-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Because of the comment about spelling I thought I would help you out GEP with your signature line.

Hey Black Forest

You correct the germans in there spelling as well
I mostly do it on purpase so all of you can complain. Must be missrable to set if front of the computer all day

radkins
06-04-2014, 08:18 AM
GEP, please don't take that the wrong way, these guys are not poking fun at you but rather just indulging in a bit jest which should never hurt anyone!

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Sorry Gep I usually don't bug people about it and sometimes even tell others to back off if they become too rude to someone about it...

was really just giving some friendly advise about the sig post but what the hey keep it that way and it will kinda become your trade mark... :)

radkins
06-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Hey Black Forest

I mostly do it on purpase so all of you can complain. Must be missrable to set if front of the computer all day

Now that one I will correct, that's THEIR spelling not "THERE" spelling!

Replacing THEIR, with THERE and often the other way around has become an internet "cutsey" way of saying things that started a couple of years ago, WHY??????

Reading posts from a couple of years ago it was rare if ever this could be seen but now it's so common it's regularly done on almost every site so it must be intentional!

Black Forest
06-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Hey Black Forest

Gep, read what I wrote for your signature line very closely. You might not get it as I know English is not your first language. It is a little play on words using some slang.

radkins
06-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Don't know why anyone would have taken offense at any of the posts (someone may very well take offense at my last but so be it) since they were clearly made in jest and not meant to offend anyone. EVERYONE makes mistakes and spelling errors, some more so than others, and if we excluded only those that rarely misspell a word or two then the forums would be lonely places indeed! Where I get peeved is when people intentionally try to get "cute" by doing the "in thing" (showing my age here as that term is about 40 years out of date!) such as switching "Their" and "There" which for some unknown reason has become common recently. This must be intentional since as I pointed out earlier it rarely if ever was seen only just a couple of years ago but now is common.

BTW, I didn't know that English was not Gep's first language and that explains a lot. I thought of it before I posted but I saw S.W, Mich and ASSUMED (dangerous thing to do!) that he was American, if English is not his first language then my post about "Their" and "There" was out of line and the mistake in this case is probably just that, a mistake.

Lew Hartswick
06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I mostly do it on purpase so all of you can complain.

I don't know about others but anyone who purposefully mis-spells is worthy of being ignored by me.
I consider it juvenile and not worthy of an answer.
...lew...

GEP
06-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Like i said i am the first to addmit that my spelling is bad. Most of my schoolng was in germay exept college i allways finished in the top of my class and ended up with a 3.96 grade average i hold several degrees. My first task in live was a apprentice ship as a machinist that i also finished in the top of my class.
In buisness i was in for 40 years i was sucsessesfull, so now you know dont mean to put to much of my personal info on line but you promted me.
I dispise being assosiated with a NAZI my father was forced to go to war at gun point for them.
I dont need this so lay of

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2014, 10:14 AM
GEP all spelling errors aside now your just being dense in the head --- and that I will spank you for,,, NOBODY stated anything to do with YOU being associated with a NAZI --- that was my comment and I directed it towards ME and OPTICS and I stated we are NOT the spelling Nazi's...

For what it's worth there are spell check programs that are already loaded in certain browsers and they can help you out with that - or not - whatever,
I understood everything you said so no worries in the spelling department here, but again - I understood everything you said so spare me the Nazi comment like it was directed towards you... because it wasn't and if you re-read you will figure that out...

Geeze - and I thought everyone was handling this situation with kids gloves :rolleyes:

Optics Curmudgeon
06-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Being the founder of this discussion (since I pointed out the spelling issue in the first place) I should say something about it. I am actually one of those people that are annoyed by some of the really obvious bad spelling found in many posts. I'm not talking about the obvious fat-finger mistakes we all make sometimes, or the occasional brain fart that causes a word to be flubbed once. Still, I don't point it out often because it won't help and trying to fix it just annoys people. I did point it out in this case, specifically because if the word had been spelled correctly the search would have come up with the answer in seconds, like it did for me. The word in this case, horizontal, appears here often, and was mangled so badly that it's puzzling how it could have happened. The fact that the spelling was repeated through the post indicated that it wasn't a typing blunder. My message is simple, if you take care to spell the words you are searching for, you will have a good chance of finding what you are looking for.

GEP
06-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Ok Optics
There are members on other sites where you accully set there and desifer there spelling and posts. Here you all would realy have problems. I appriciate all the help but just keep in mind this is not a on line class room that teaches spelling and sending out repromends. Thanks for you help consern

Black Forest
06-04-2014, 03:01 PM
I live in Germany and English is my first language. I struggle with German and have lived here many years.

As to optics sounding off about the last two years spelling has gone to pot. It is because of smart phones. Texting is ruining the languages in many countries.

flylo
06-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Maybe it should read "He Ho has trouble spelling needs to use Spell Check" :rolleyes: All in good fun.

Toolguy
06-04-2014, 06:12 PM
What about the knee mill attachment?:confused:

radkins
06-04-2014, 06:25 PM
What about the knee mill attachment?:confused:

Well for what it's worth I am going to build one, started gathering material today and hope to start on it in a week or so.

Tobias-B
06-04-2014, 08:27 PM
I was going to remark that, as for a right angle attachment,
if you use it unsupported and think about the
forces involved, you can set it to kick itself out of the cut.
Then, if it slips, it'll just back out of the cut.
If you do it the other way, yeah, it can dig in and make a real mess.

One came with a mill I 'had to have', and I was scared of it for
years. Finally came across a project that would be a LOT easier
with it (making pipe mandrels) and it worked just fine.

My spelling's gotten worse since then, tho, so I wonder if that
was maybe a side effect of using it unsupported...

heh

t

radkins
06-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Spellin has never been a problem for me.