PDA

View Full Version : Great British Car show on Sunday

Errol Groff
06-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I visited the Connecticut MG auto club show on Sunday. Held at a state park on the shoreline the setting was perfect and everyone I talked to was most welcoming. The boys, Roy Bear and Eddie Moose, were allowed to sit in a number of the exhibition cars so they had a fine time also.

All British cars marques were welcome not just MGs. The first car I owned was an MG 1100 and I hoped to see one at the show but no luck.

http://neme-s.org/2014/British_By_Sea/british_by_the_sea.htm

Errol Groff

boslab
06-04-2014, 01:55 AM
It was an MGB, i think that ended my vehicle welding career, it was a nightmare, guy begged me to replace the outer cills, i finally agreed on the proviso that if it was worse which it probably would be it was going to cost more, needless to say it was!, off with the cills, to do that the back wings and doors off
Diaphragm plates gone, remove, inner cills gone, remove, floor pans both sides gone, remove, btw it was an open top!, the only thing salvageable was the tunnel, the front and back of the car were only connected by two lengths of big box bean i tacked under her before cutting.
Anyway replaced the lot, took it to get the alignment of the body checked, it was fine, resprayed it, new carpet and put the doors back, called the guy he came to pick it up.
Instantly moaned that the doors were loose in the original hinges, i told him, well that was nothing to do with the cills, at which point he refused to pay for the job, or the MOT test or the paint or the alignment test, got in, pulled a second ignition key out of his pocket and drove off!
I swore to never touch a bloody car again
Mark

TGTool
06-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Well, an experience like that would finish me off too. I've been stiffed for small stuff, but not that badly.

First car I had was an MGA. Enjoyed that for a couple years before buying an XK-140. I also worked in a foreign car repair shop for a time. Sometimes it wasn't bad. Some of the most annoying times were bringing a car in during the winter, getting it up on a lift and trying to repair a rotted exhaust system with snow and ice water dripping down my neck. That's when I really generated the desire for wealth - at least enough to pay someone else to work on my car. Now semi-retired I'm back to crawling underneath, busting my knuckles and wiping up slopped oil.

Mike Amick
06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Just sold my MGB to some guy living and shipping it to Denmark.

My Midget, I did all kinds of mods to it, including shortening the steering column. I wrote a
nice pictorial on rebuilding the front suspension if anybody ever needs to do it.

Its on my site

http://www.mikeamick.com/

Mike A

Alistair Hosie
06-04-2014, 02:25 PM
In business you have sometimes to deal with some very well rehearsed professional complainers.They have it all down to a tee and you get shafted.I am sorry but things and money have sometimes to be taken before a job is started.I have a friend of mine who is a Corgi registered plumber and gasfitter over the years he got shafted again and again and again.One woman told him with a smile on her face as he was going round bleeding her radiators that she was getting divorced and had no money sorry.It is illegal to remove the stuff from the premises without a court order.He told me you can't ask for money upfront even to cover the materials which can be a heafty portion of the overall bill.I am sorry if this sounds racist but I know anumber of guys who won't deal with Indians and Pakistanis as they have constantly had such bad reputationnot paying or trying to reduce the bill by half sometimes saying they were not pleased with the workmanship time after time.The trouble is that the good Asian customers get mashed in with the troublemakers.I had a friend who was an elderly Indian gentleman YOGI NOw dead he wanted to get someone to do work on his daughters house she was a doctor and I agreed to help , as my neighbour is a clerk of works he kept telling me he would get back to me but never did.Then he dropped the bombshell ho couldn't get anyone to touch it as they had such bad previous experiences with the Asian comunity.Sorry but thats how it is in Scotland possibly the UK hese days Alistair

sasquatch
06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks Errol, question:
The white truck on the left side part way down, beside it is a part pic of a license plate that says "Repair" at the top,(Conneticut plate).

Why is the plate marked repair? never saw that before?

Errol Groff
06-04-2014, 03:37 PM
"Repair" plates are used by garages and repair shops to move vehicles on the road without going through the registration process. Driving the truck to a show on a repair plate is probably stretching the law a bit but only if one gets caught.

Coming up this weekend are a military vehicle show, an antique truck show and a tractor show. Hoping for fine weather!

Errol

jep24601
06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
.He told me you can't ask for money upfront even to cover the materials which can be a heafty portion of the overall bill.

That's interesting. It's quite normal here in the US to get 50% up front for small residential jobs plus the lien laws are quite onerous against the homeowner.