PDA

View Full Version : " old indian lathe"

bigman1
06-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi folks,
I was looking at Indian lathe manufacturers websites and was surprised to find a lot were selling
belt drive lathes with back gear, like giant versions of my Atlas. Has anyone bought one or know
some one who has? Thanks. Ronnie.

Rosco-P
06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
My guess is they have copied the design from a used US made lathe long ago imported to India. Target market for the machine is probably smaller shops in support of production, not export directly. If I wanted a flat belt drive lathe or old tech belt drve back geared lathe I'd buy a used one here. Reading through old posts here, you'll see that any machine tools the indians produce is greatly inferior to work of the Chinese.

flylo
06-18-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll have to disagree with the quality comment. I have a gear head Enterprise that is far better than anything I've seen china make & rivals American lathes in quality IMHO.

J. Randall
06-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Agree with Flylo, used a small Enterprise at a votech that I really liked, inch or metric with the flip of a lever. Other than some soft bolts, I thought it was pretty well made.
James

Jon Heron
06-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Also, if the tech was copied, its far more likely to be a copy of a UK machine rather than a US machine.
Cheers,
Jon

The Artful Bodger
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Also, if the tech was copied, its far more likely to be a copy of a UK machine rather than a US machine.
Cheers,
Jon

Probably originally made by a British machine tool company operating in India as several were and I presume still are.