PDA

View Full Version : Owning Old Ford Trucks

madman
06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
I been having a dilemma. Bought another Old Ford F250 4x4 7.5 litre engine. The heater control Cable that operates the cold to warm dash control was missing. Did a dye test on the A/C and alls good but need this Cable. No-One around here has it . Its just too old. Any ideas Guys? I also own a 1984 F250, Both are good runners still. Thankyou Mike

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Hit a salvage yard

Rosco-P
06-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Bought another Old Ford F250 4x4 7.5 litre engine. The heater control Cable that operates the cold to warm dash control was missing.

How old is old?

Make a cable.

Did you try RockAuto dot com?

ironmonger
06-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Maybe you could adapt a manual choke cable.
Is the cable you have plastic coated?

paul

Frank K
06-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Check out one of the on line companies that provide parts to aircraft home builders such as wagaero.com. Do a search on throttle cable and look for just the threaded end replacement cables. Fairly cheap and easy to adapt to your needs.

LKeithR
06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Do a Google search for "Morse Cables". They're used in all kinds of marine and equipment applications--should be no problem finding something that will work...

justanengineer
06-23-2014, 01:58 PM
People buy cables and linkages? Ive always just made my own from baling wire or whatever was available. If I needed the sleeved variety or special ends, the local mower shop bought the sleeved variety by the roll and had every conceivable end on hand to crimp on.

gambler
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
People buy cables and linkages? Ive always just made my own from baling wire or whatever was available. If I needed the sleeved variety or special ends, the local mower shop bought the sleeved variety by the roll and had every conceivable end on hand to crimp on.

yep, lawn mower shop, they use the same type cables. we call them bowden cables. solid wire in a sleeve. easy to make.

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2014, 03:58 PM

In the "push pull" type situation which is typical of the usual heater valve application/function I would think bailing wire a very poor choice as it might be "OK" with the pulling part but the pushing is compressional and takes a tempered wire,
So it most likely would just buckle when pushing the control back,

I say "OK" in the pulling due to many times the cables are ran just in wound steel sheaths - so a "gummy" non hardened material can quickly build up burrs and or wear faster esp. around bends,,,
bailing wire might work if it's strictly for pull and there is a return spring on the other side, but still some day you may find the mechanism is not wanting to return properly...

hardness drastically reduces both friction and wear, even in linkages...

Alistair Hosie
06-23-2014, 04:00 PM
What about a new bicycle brake cable I think you can buy it by the foot. Alistair

Doozer
06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
The '67 Ford pickups had choke type push-pull controls for the heat and vent controls.
The 1st Broncos too. In '68 Ford went to the slide controls in their trucks.
I really like the '67s for the body style and simple mechanicals.
Would love one with a 300-6 and a modern 5 speed, highway rear gears, 2wd and posi.
8 foot bed of course, because I use a truck to haul stuff.
Heater controls (Bowden cables) are pretty simple to make.
I have a little bend jig thingy from my lawn mower repair days to make the Z in the cable.
Other end is usually a spring loop. Easy to make as well.

--Doozer

A.K. Boomer
06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
What about a new bicycle brake cable I think you can buy it by the foot. Alistair

Mr. Hosie the bike cable is tempered and that's good but it's also stranded,,, and not a very good choice for compressional as the multiple strands and the spiral wind make it very vulnerable to buckling...

really depends on the layout of things - if it's not having to "stick it's neck out" far then it can handle short distances,,, but generally heater control valves have a fair amount of travel --- and just as important is the fact that they are a pivot lever at the business end and not a straight pull, this usually starts out with the cable being at an angle from the sheath mount with the valve all the way in one position, then middle position going even further in the opposite direction, then farthest out back to being to the other side again, so to keep the mount farther away and the cable end longer cuts down on this radical angle and therefore friction - but in turn makes the cable more flimsy... it's a task best suited for single wire tempered cable...

macona
06-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Old mig gun liner and solid core wire works.

CCWKen
06-23-2014, 07:31 PM
They're easy to make. I've made or repaired a number of lawnmower control and throttle cables. I use electric fence wire for most of them. I run the wire through one of the many plastic control cables I have. Most of the heater control cables had the clip molded in but you could use a simple wrap type clamp to hold it in place. If there's heavy push load, you can use spring wire instead of the fence wire. A lot of those just had a coil at the end that fit over the door arm. The control end may be just a dog leg in the wire.

Gazz
06-23-2014, 10:23 PM
I just made one, rather adapted one to my 1950 Chevy pickup. I had a generic choke cable and took the knob from the original, drilled out the stem and crimped the new wire in place. So now I have a new cable and the original knob to keep the look correct. Took all of a few minutes.

DS_park
06-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Google search for "Jeff's Bronco Graveyard" and give them a call. Good folks located in Michigan. Though they specialize in Bronco's, they can usually find other Ford parts too.

Rock Auto was already mentioned.
JC Whitney is worth a try too.

DS

big job
06-24-2014, 04:53 AM
I been having a dilemma. Bought another Old Ford F250 4x4 7.5 litre engine. The heater control Cable that operates the cold to warm dash control was missing. Did a dye test on the A/C and alls good but need this Cable. No-One around here has it . Its just too old. Any ideas Guys? I also own a 1984 F250, Both are good runners still. Thankyou Mike

Once more how old is old. F250 -covers a lot of ground. I may have what you need is this a two lever with fan switch
a/c heat control two cable unit?

madman
06-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Thankyou Guys for all the good ideas. I didnt get a cable with the truck when I bought it. It was missing. It is a 1989 F250 by the way, Our wrecking Yards just don't have Old Vehicles Period!! Sucks!! since I seem to be the only one poor enough to be driving them ha ha . If I would of had the Old broken Cable i would of gone to our local shop for the proper diameter piece of piano wire (Hobby Shop) and been done with it, As it is I cannot find anything anywhere, tried rock auto and all the other places. Would anyone be able to source one for me I would cover your expenses within reason Thank You Mike.

A.K. Boomer
06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Hmmm did not think of piano wire, probably a pretty good choice.

do you have the casing/sheath? you can just measure that with a drill bit stub and stay about .005" or .010" smaller

madman
06-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Yes the entire cables is Gone, Missing nada ha ha .Just not there. I was disappointed because i would of just bent up some model airplane piano wire for it. I have the Technology available to do that. I been so busy just repairing my old stuff. It does seem to treat me Ok and is easier to fix than my friends new powerstroke diesel lemon he bought. Anyhow I am still searching for a 1989 cold hot heater control cable. Will cover expenses, Thanx Mike

flylo
06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
No idea where your located but I have a bunch of aircraft push/pull cables probably too big, 1/2" or bigger but I'll bet you'll never need to replace it. Or just open the hood & do it manually every time.

coalsmok
06-25-2014, 09:19 PM
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=49
this should do it for you

vpt
06-26-2014, 09:41 AM
I am an old ford guy myself and as well owned a few 88-91 f250 trucks. As for the cable I would agree with the others saying look for a choke type cable and then cut it to the length you need and bend up the ends for whatever. Just this spring my son was flinging my vents controls back and forth in my car and ended up bending the cable and then breaking it off. I ended up pulling out the internal cable and put in a 1/16" stainless filler wire from my tig, bent up the ends into the shapes I needed and its been working great ever since.

madman
06-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Thankyou All for replies. If I had the original cable replacement would be Ok BUT I have NO Cable period. I just came back fro ma failed long weekend trip due to the old truck just not having enough oomph. Anyhow Thanx Mike