PDA

View Full Version : One for those of us who either Build or dream to build Scale ICs

Spin Doctor
05-15-2004, 07:32 PM
http://www.enginehistory.org/torque_meter.htm

Go to the images. Humbling, very very humbling

wierdscience
05-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Some one had loooooooots of time on their hands!

darryl
05-16-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm taking a seat in the back corner, somewhere out of sight.
That just blows me away, that someone would or could tackle and finish such a project. Awesome job to say the least.

Mike W
05-16-2004, 05:04 AM
There were some very smart people even 100 years ago. They knew more about electric motors then most people today know.

Peter S
05-16-2004, 07:04 AM
That issue of "Torque Meter" just arrived at my place about a week ago, it has a great article by Barry Hares, 14 pages long, on building the 1/5th scale Rolls-Royce Eagle.
It is going to be a running engine, in fact it looks pretty near completion, 8000 hours spent so far, the 2 stage supercharger is putting out about 4 psi at 15,000rpm, the fuel injection is proving to be a bit tricky! Scale magnetos. The intention was to use a scale model, working Coffman starter (using .22 cartridges), however the load to turn over the engine is too great.
It is 24 cylinder, sleeve valve, 3200 hp in full size.

Also has pictures of his 1/5th scale working Merlin XX engine.

All pretty mind boggling.

Much the same article appeared in Strictly IC June-Aug 2000, and in the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust Archive magazine.

Torque Meter - well worth getting if you are into aero engines

[This message has been edited by Peter S (edited 05-16-2004).]

John Stevenson
05-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Have any of the issues of The Torque Meter had any details of the Liberty aero engine in them.
I am currently working on a project involving just one barrel off one of these engines and other than the barrel I have no other info at all.

John S.

Paul Gauthier
05-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Such work is not that of a mere mortal.

Paul G

Peter S
05-17-2004, 07:37 AM
John,
No articles on the Liberty yet in Torque Meter.

There is one book that I know of written about the Liberty, "The Liberty Engine 1918-1942" by Philip S. Dickey, 110 pages, published 1968, it is OK, but doesn't have much technical detail so didn't interest me much.

Robert Neal is writing a book on the Liberty right now, not sure when it will be published.
He has written several impressive books, I have two about Packard, one of which deals with all the various engines Packard built over the years - "Master Motor Builders".
Because Jesse Vincent of Packard was one of the Liberty designers, and because Packard built more of them than any other company, Neal has about 20 pages on the Liberty (out of 350-odd pages!)

Maybe your cylinder comes from the Nuffield-built tank engines of the 1930's, you may find the Tank Museum has some manuals for the Cruiser Mk 111 (A13), Crusader Mk 11 & 111, Centaur or Cavalier tanks?

Apparently, the A13 used a Liberty in its early form (about 600 built), but later tanks had a more developed version of the same engine (around 6,000 built for the Crusader, plus more for the other tanks).
This comes from Dickey's book.

Tuckerfan
05-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Color me impressed! Is the guy making his own nuts, bolts, screws, etc. or is he buying it? (Not that it lessens his work if he is buying it, but if he's making that as well....)

bdarin
05-17-2004, 08:56 PM
My God...........

franco
05-18-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi John,

Re Liberty Engines.

There is a bit about Liberty engines in Herschel Smith's "A History of Aircraft Piston Engines"

HP 400 @ 1800 RPM
Bore 128 mm (5 in.)
Stroke 178 mm (7 in.)
Displacement 1649 cu. in.
Weight 786 lb (installed weight at least 900 lb)

There are several references to the cylinders having (often leaky) welded water jackets in both the above book and L J K Setright's "The Power to Fly", but no references to cast water jackets. However, in 1926, Wrights developed an engine, the T-2, "a cast block to put on the Liberty base instead of the welded cylinders". This developed 500 HP and was used in some torpedo planes. No other specs. of this engine mentioned.

You might be able to get some info. on the tank engines over there; over 7000 Liberties were built by Nuffields between 1938 and 1942 for use in tanks.

If you have a twenties copy of Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia in your book collection, there was a very comprehensive section on maintenance, repair and overhaul of Liberty engines in there. There was a copy at one factory where I worked - it ended up in the boiler furnace because it was out of date!

Regards, franco.