PDA

View Full Version : Balancing act

quadrod
06-28-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.break.com/video/ct-scanner-opened-up-at-full-speed-2643696

ZINOM
06-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Not knowing what one of those normally looks like while in operation I found it kinda boring....here's one minute, 18 seconds of goodness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VaYTkn2aSg

John

quadrod
06-28-2014, 07:06 PM
I was just wondering what it takes to balance that much weight to make it run silky smooth.

Frank Ford
06-28-2014, 08:08 PM
OT, alright, but thanks for posting that - I've spent more time than I'd like inside that whirling donut! Never thought much about what was going on around me.

CarlByrns
06-28-2014, 11:24 PM
I had some minor surgery done in one of those things. Now I understand why the room was so cold.

boslab
06-29-2014, 12:37 AM
Looked like a Phillips CT scan, whats fascinating is the slip rings that get all the power to the tube cooling the thing and signal out, i understand that the high voltage generator is moving otherwise there would be a 60Kv slip ring, bet that would arc a bit!
MRI units are fascinating too, went to the factory in Holland to see them, the torus was powered up after filling with liquid Helium and the guy got a big ring spanner on a rope, chucked it at the thing and it pulled the rope horizontal, must have been a regular demo as the end was shackled to the wall, tthe pull on the rope was quite impressive.
Mark

flylo
06-29-2014, 01:34 AM
Had 14 MRI's last year, glad (hope & pray) that craps over but now my wife has some very major stuff coming up. Sucks to deal with a system where all they want is your money & insurance.:mad:

plunger
06-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Thats amazing . My lathe dances like that washing machine if I use my 4 jaw on irregular work. Now one can see why it costs so much. The first ct scanner was co invented by a s african. Shows you that some good things can come from the african continent

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-29-2014, 04:15 AM
I was just wondering what it takes to balance that much weight to make it run silky smooth.
Nothing special, just te right amount of counterweight in the right location. And that thing is revolving quite slow, so even a basic static balancing would probably work fine enough.