PDA

View Full Version : Vfd choice

ironmonger
06-30-2014, 07:32 AM
I went looking for another VFD this weekend, and was planning on purchasing another Motortronics ME2. They seem to be in rather short supply. I have two of them now, and they have been trouble free for 5 years, but when I can only find them on fleabay I'm a little suspect...

The Hitachi is another alternative, so I was looking for input from any of you that may have used them
see:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/motors-controls/ac-drives/hitachi-ac-inverter-2-hp-200-240v-nes1-015sb?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CJOD-rq-ob8CFVQiMgodQEQAdQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

What have you been happy with?

paul

JoeLee
06-30-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a small Yaskawa VFD that I use to run my two grinders. It's a little tricky to program but they have a good tech help line that can walk you through all the programming steps. Once you get it set up there's really no need to change anything. I set mine up for soft starts and fast stops. I've had it for about 8 years and no issues. It was under $200.

JL.................

MaxHeadRoom
06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
The Hitachi is another alternative, so I was looking for input from any of you that may have used them
see:

paul

This model appears to be the simple variable freq? If the one you are replacing is sensorless vector type, you may not have an exact replacement, Hitachi make sensorless type if needed.
Max.

Pherdie
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
MaxHeadRoom wrote,
This model appears to be the simple variable freq? If the one you are replacing is sensorless vector type, you may not have an exact replacement, Hitachi make sensorless type if needed.

I totally agree with Max on this one. Sensorless vector will give you "constant torque" throughout the motor speed range, great for lathes, mills and other metal working equipment. Sensorless vector units do cost more though. I have several Hitachi units running for over five years now.

The proposed unit the OP posted doesn't appear to have this feature.

RWO
06-30-2014, 01:36 PM
automationdirect.com has all kinds of VFD's and is a full fledged industrial supplier with excellent tech support and good prices. I have 2 of their house brand VFD's (1 HP)which have worked perfectly for me for at least 10 years. I also have an 2 hp Hitachi that is about 12 years old that has given flawless service.

RWO

morehelium
06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
The Lenze SMVector series are awesome. Cheap, simple and high quality.

Chris