PDA

View Full Version : Another PayPal Surprise...............

JoeLee
07-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I recently signed up for a PayPal Master card. It was no big deal to do as I was instantly approved.
The problem I had with my other card was that if I didn't select where I wanted the payment to go it would by default take from my PP balance first which was OK but if the purchase was more than I had in my PP account it would then take from my PP balance and the remainder from my checking account that I use exclusively for PP and I only keep a few bucks in that account. A few time I forgot to select other payment options and got hit for an insufficient funds fee.
So now with this PP master card I just found out that if my purchase is greater than the funds in my PP account it wont let me use any of the money I have in PP so the whole thing goes on the master card. That's not a big deal either but just another PIA surprise.

JL..................

RussZHC
07-05-2014, 08:58 PM
I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of banking but to my knowledge, both in Canada and the US, there are some very specific things that a bank/other financial institutions can and can not do.
What continues to surprise me is that an outfit like PayPal seems to be able to operate with a good deal of impunity...just seems to me like they are making up rules as they go without any sort of over-sight by anyone...with the anyone often being some government regulatory body or similar who, supposedly, looks out for the consumer.
The even simpler example with PayPal is, to my knowledge, you can not permanently select the credit card option as opposed to the linked bank account, you have to tick the box/button each and every time, one assumes that a percentage of the time through simple forgetfulness, that does not happen.

To me it is very similar to the situations where if used to be that you had to sign, or agree to, or tick a box agreeing to or something along those line (EULA typcially) whereas now, there is the assumption that you agree if you are using an app/program etc.

JoeLee
07-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I remember hearing on CNBC that since PP isn't a bank they don't have to follow federal banking rules. So that means they can pretty much make up their own stuff.
But, my point is that with their own MC, which is supposed to make things easier, you can't use what you have in your PP balance and have the rest go on the card. With the other card I had associated it wasn't an issue. I didn't expect this.......... it was another hidden surprise.

JL....................

lakeside53
07-05-2014, 11:50 PM
This is why you have to read the user agreement. I'm sure it's all spelled out.

Black Forest
07-06-2014, 03:14 AM
I wouldn't want the payment to be split between two different accounts. Handling my accounting books is difficult enough without splitting payments. My CPA would not like that arrangement at all.

GEP
07-06-2014, 07:07 AM
I use a debit card that is connected with my bank account. Paypal only has the debit card info that way paypal can not draw from my bank account. When i sell items and draw money from paypal it goes to my debit card account. I have no problems this way.

RichR
07-06-2014, 08:42 AM
This is why you have to read the user agreement. I'm sure it's all spelled out.

And no doubt, like most user agreements, written very carefully in a way designed to put the average person into a temporary coma by the time they get to
the second paragraph, let alone page 10.

JoeLee
07-06-2014, 12:39 PM
And no doubt, like most user agreements, written very carefully in a way designed to put the average person into a temporary coma by the time they get to
the second paragraph, let alone page 10.Your correct 100%.
Even the people at PP didn't have a clue as to why this was happening. Who puts this crap together???

JL..................

goose
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
You got a credit card, and you used it. It worked. And you're complaining PP didn't distribute the charges in the exact way that you wanted. What are they (PP) expected to do ? While another guy would likely complain that his PP account was debited when he expected all the charges being put on the credit card account.
I would venture to guess that the credit card is issued by a bank ( eg, BoA, Wells Fargo, etc) and to add to the confusion there's now two institutions you are dealing with. Read the fine print.

Old Hat
07-06-2014, 04:03 PM
some government regulatory body or similar who, supposedly, looks out for the consumer.

Yer miss'n the point of government regulatory body if You ever realy beleived they look out FOR us.

krutch
07-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I try to be very careful of PPal and Billmelater. Before Billmelater, I almost had more charges than coverable by my account. Caught it before an issue occurred.

flylo
07-06-2014, 05:45 PM
So you forgot & it's their fault? Bet you won"t forge:confused:t again.

atty
07-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Actually....I'm not too concerned that PayPal is not regulated as a bank. In fact, I find it rather refreshing. If you need a reminder why, just survey the landscape of the banking industry today and tell me what you see. I grew up in the days when you opened a bank account they gave you a new toaster, or blender, or some such. Open one today and all you get is a stack of rules you have to follow or they will jam every conceivable fee they can think of up your posterior......and with no smile, never mind the toaster.

J Tiers
07-07-2014, 08:37 AM
You got a credit card, and you used it. It worked. And you're complaining PP didn't distribute the charges in the exact way that you wanted. What are they (PP) expected to do ? ........................... Read the fine print.

So you forgot & it's their fault? Bet you won"t forge:confused:t again.

I think you are forgetting the FACT that the "bank" (Paypal IS a BANK, just an unregulated one... if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck....) Is fully dedicated to PREVENTING you from finding out anything that would allow you to avoid fees, or allow you to do things that the bank finds less advantageous.

I have literally had finance corporations and even American Express send me a bill postmarked several days LATER THAN the due date on the enclosed bill.

And you think that the bank is looking out for your interests? Disclosing everything that you need to know clearly and openly?

It might be time to get some glasses that work, and are not that rosy color in the lenses....