PDA

View Full Version : Punch Press Lube

atty
07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Just hauled a 22 Ton Punch Press from Denver back to the desert this week. Will be put in service punching .100" aluminum disks @ 5" diameter. A discussion broke out on the way back about some kind of spray lube that somebody was using that evaporated shortly after application, and didn't contaminate further processing such as tumbling. Nobody had an answer. Were we dreaming? Maybe too much road time? Anybody heard of such a thing?

Old Hat
07-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Do you mean for the punching?
Sounds like an invitation for slug-sucking, which if the slug is your part
would be rather troublesome no?

Toolguy
07-12-2014, 10:22 PM
It's called Disappearing Oil strangely enough. That has been a punch press standby for a long time, probably 60 years or more. I don't know if it has another name. If you can't find that, use Lanolin, it washes off with water and cleans the part in the process.

RichR
07-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Something like this?
http://www.vanishingoil.com/

Toolguy
07-12-2014, 11:22 PM
That's it. Looks like I got it wrong on this one. Oh well, can't win em all.

atty
07-13-2014, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys.

That's exactly what I was looking for....and as Old Hat mentioned, it is for the slug, so to speak, i.e. the 5" disk. Common sense tells you when you have metal to metal contact, a lube is desirable, but can cause problems in the later processing, especially when you're talking 10K to 20K of disks. When your tumbling media/bath turns to a foaming bath of grunge, ......you just hate it when that happens.

Thanks for the responses. Just what we were looking for. Now.....to figure out who won that bet from the guy who said we were smoking...what??? I know we just came from Colorado, but Puuuuuulease!

RichR
07-13-2014, 09:10 AM
That's it. Looks like I got it wrong on this one. Oh well, can't win em all.

I'd call it a team effort. You mentioned Disappearing Oil which I dropped into Google. It was the second or third item on the page.

Toolguy
07-13-2014, 09:19 AM
I knew about it, used it for years building punch press dies a long time ago. Just remembered the name wrong.