PDA

View Full Version : Germany won the World Championship in soccer!

Black Forest
07-13-2014, 06:37 PM
1974 was the last time they won. I am not a big fan of fussball but it is mandatory to watch the finals here if Germany is in it. My wife told me so.

PStechPaul
07-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Way to go ‹bermenschen!

flylo
07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats! When in Ireland they asked if we wanted to watch football, turned out to be soccer.:p

duckman
07-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Who cares, if it doesn't put money in my pocket it doesn't count.

J Tiers
07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
The game is fun to play (my high school had a team way back in the 60's), but I'd far rather play than watch. Didn't watch even one game.

The one game might have been a bit more interesting than most.... Against Brazil... I have not seen a score like that since the junior team in high school.

boslab
07-13-2014, 07:45 PM
There are two sports over here, poofball and rubme aka soccer and rugby, the rugby players get enough physical contact during the game so dont need to be hugged every time they score, the poofball players crave man hugs so its mandatory lol
Im glad Germany won, though im not sure what its all about so long as their happy.
Mark

KiddZimaHater
07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Congrats Black Forest.
Are there any other users here from Germany?
Enjoy the victory.
Our Spurs won the NBA Championship this year.
It feels good to have a winning team every now & then.
I feel sorry for sports fans in Cleveland. :o

PStechPaul
07-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Our Baltimore Orioles are flying high this year.

Go O's!

Tony Ennis
07-13-2014, 10:35 PM
There may be more to the story (http://www.theonion.com/articles/germans-humiliated-after-winning-world-cup-638-sec,36450/)...

mayfieldtm
07-14-2014, 12:47 AM

I wanted someone to get that stupid ball lodged in their butt.
I'm so sick of hearing about it.
Tom M.

thaiguzzi
07-14-2014, 03:02 AM
1974 was the last time they won. I am not a big fan of fussball but it is mandatory to watch the finals here if Germany is in it. My wife told me so.

Correction. 1990 was the last time they won. Good game, best team won, KO was 2 in the morning here.

Black Forest
07-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Correction. 1990 was the last time they won. Good game, best team won, KO was 2 in the morning here.

OPPs! You are right. Please don't tell my wife I forgot the last time the won!!!!!

davidwdyer
07-14-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm not in Germany. I'm sort of hiding my head in shame.

Brazil's loss will probably generate more of the social unrest they had before the cup started.

This is especially true since this is an election year here.

Black Forest
07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm not in Germany. I'm sort of hiding my head in shame.

Brazil's loss will probably generate more of the social unrest they had before the cup started.

This is especially true since this is an election year here.

No need to hide your head in shame. You didn't personally lose the title. And the team shouldn't hide their head in shame either. They played hard and didn't make lots of mistakes. The Germans just played better. No less, no more. They made fourth place in the World. I represented the USA in a World Championship event and made seventh place and was damn proud as I was the youngest and least experienced of anyone competing in the competition.

LKeithR
07-14-2014, 09:33 AM

Somebody needs to get a life...:D

DR
07-14-2014, 12:28 PM
World Cup...???

Was that the reason for all the shouting noises from the bars the last week or so??

Mike Amick
07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
There may be more to the story (http://www.theonion.com/articles/germans-humiliated-after-winning-world-cup-638-sec,36450/)...

wow .. what a well organized friendly site. I looked for ever and never found the story behind the
headline.

loose nut
07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
They played hard and didn't make lots of mistakes. The Germans just played better. No less, no more.

Really. In a game where 1 to nothing is a high scoring game 7 to 1 was a complete blow out.

PStechPaul
07-14-2014, 07:03 PM
wow .. what a well organized friendly site. I looked for ever and never found the story behind the
headline.
I think that was just a bit of sarcastic humor based on the lingering stereotype that for Germans, anything less than perfection cannot be tolerated. Like I think was part of a skit on SNL where the German coach chastised his players for allowing one goal.

Tony Ennis
07-14-2014, 07:53 PM
headline.

There is no article - it was a riff on the German culture's goal of perfection. The site is the Onion. It's a satirical site. Absolutely hilarious. Every now and then a new agency will run a Onion story as though it were real. Extra hilarious.

Juergenwt
07-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Sorry - Baseball not a sport! It's a nice game! The players are not athletes, they are ball players.
John Kruk was a good ballplayer and also a funny guy. Here are some of his quotes:

"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."

Juergenwt
07-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Darn - Chinese made watch!

Black Forest
07-15-2014, 01:05 AM
Really. In a game where 1 to nothing is a high scoring game 7 to 1 was a complete blow out.

I know that and you know that it was a complete blow out and a big embarrassment for the Brazilian team and country. I just thought I would try once to be nice!:cool:

loose nut
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
No point in trying to be nice to them, the Brazilian gov. has probably got a death squad running their team down by now.

thaiguzzi
07-16-2014, 01:16 AM

The Brazilians were absolutely awful. Playground defensive errors. I'm being very polite. I've never ever seen anything like that 20 odd minutes in the first half. Anybody into football should watch clips of the Brazilian teams of 1970 and the early 80's. Breathtaking stuff.

loose nut
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Hard to believe that Germany rolled over Brazil all most as fast as they did France back in 1940.

Billy Hill
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
I never liked soccer until my kids started playing a few years ago. I went as far as offering to coach this year. I was all stoked to be able to watch the World Cup with the kids and see some real talent. Then it happened...

Every time one player came within half a foot of another player one of them (or more often BOTH of them) would drop and flop on the ground like they just got all their finger nails pulled out with a pair of pliers. It was funny the first 40 or 50 times I saw it in that first game, but then it got old. Really old. Then after I watched a couple of games I realized it wasn't just a few people or a few teams doing it, it was damned near EVERY TEAM doing it.

Some of it was really convincing too (the theatrics I mean), so I started thinking about what this was teaching my kids about being competitive and good sportsmanship, and most importantly, HONESTY.

A quick Youtube search produced everything I needed to know about soccer on a professional level: It's coached from the ground up to LIE in order to try to get an advantage of a bad call by a ref.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHVTYNGS-F4

So my enthusiasm for soccer and those that play it is gone. My respect for the sport and the players and the coaches? Gone. It's a sham and I don't give it any more attention than I do to so-called professional wrestling. I retracted my offer to coach and did not enroll my kids in the league this year (and they know why and understand why).

Soccer. What a joke of a sport.

Juergenwt
07-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Billy - ever get hit with the Studs up ripping your leg? Ever bang your head against another players head trying to connect for a header? Sure, some will play to the Ref. But there are yellow cards for doing that. If Baseball Players had these collisions - there would be no players left on the field after 15 min. of play. Running the pitch for 90 Min. or even 120 Min. in 95 deg. temp. and 90% humidity would leave most Am. Football teams under Oxygen and in a cool down mode after only one quarter. Ever watch the acting in basketball?
The thing is that after adding a little acting to a foul - if it get's you a free kick because you impressed the Ref. - your team wins the game. No more, no less. Very few professional sports are played by obeying a code of honor to the letter. In the end - nobody remembers the team in 2. place.

jep24601
07-17-2014, 08:47 AM
There are two sports over here, poofball and rubme aka soccer and rugby, the rugby players get enough physical contact during the game so dont need to be hugged every time they score, the poofball players crave man hugs so its mandatory lol.....
Mark

Said by a fellow from the land where King John had nothing to do with the English crown.

Billy Hill
07-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Billy - ever get hit with the Studs up ripping your leg? Ever bang your head against another players head trying to connect for a header? Sure, some will play to the Ref. But there are yellow cards for doing that. If Baseball Players had these collisions - there would be no players left on the field after 15 min. of play. Running the pitch for 90 Min. or even 120 Min. in 95 deg. temp. and 90% humidity would leave most Am. Football teams under Oxygen and in a cool down mode after only one quarter. Ever watch the acting in basketball?
The thing is that after adding a little acting to a foul - if it get's you a free kick because you impressed the Ref. - your team wins the game. No more, no less. Very few professional sports are played by obeying a code of honor to the letter. In the end - nobody remembers the team in 2. place.

Soooo... did you "watch" any soccer during the World Cup? Did you watch the video?

If so, you saw the same faked dives I saw. They were plentiful, obvious lies taught by the coaches and often justified by the announcers. Deep down I guess this is part of the reason I prefer sports and activities that require more than one ball.

Seems you condone lying in order to gain an unfair advantage at things. And it's cute how you call it "acting". That's fine, you go right ahead believe what you want, teach your kids it's ok to lie to gain an unfair advantage.

Me? I choose not to. We've got enough of that in our upside-down world these days.

Black Forest
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I sort of agree with Billy on this issue. It was quite disappointing to see the players fall on the ground and roll around in agony until they saw that they didn't get the foul and then pop up unhurt. More than once my wife told me to calm down after I was hollering at the players on the ground to get up and stop being such a wimp.

Did any of you all see the interview with the German player by the English speaking reporter? She asked him if he was disappointed that he wasn't awarded the MVP of the series being as how he scored the most goals and played really well. They gave the trophy to an Argentinian player named Messi, reputed to be the best player in the world at this time. The German player being interviewed went on a rant in a very slang German about who cares about a dumb trophy. We just won the WM and bla bla bla. The reporter didn't understand him at all and then asked another top German play named Sweinstieger what he said. He pauses for a couple of seconds and says to the reporter, " He said you are very beautiful and they all are very happy to have won the World Championship!"

jep24601
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Reminds me of when British General French asked the French General Lanrezac if he thought the German army would cross the Meuse river when they reached it. Lanrezac sarcatically said that he imagined that the Germans were just going to the river to go fishing, annoyed at French's ignorant question. French's aide, Wilson, translated that yes, General Lanrezac expected the Germans to cross the river.

Juergenwt
07-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Billy - I don't condone any of these theatrical performances and I wish the officials would be much stricter and hand out more yellow cards. The problem of course is that the Ref is not always right on top and often unable to see what took place.
What you see on TV is the result of Hi tech camera recording from every angle, slow motion and up close photography.
Distances on the field are much greater than what you see on TV. But in football you can not stop the game whenever there is a close encounter-and they are numerous-run to the sidelines and after looking at replay's make a decision whether a real foul was committed or a fake. That would kill the game for sure. Since every team subscribes to these fake fouls - and that goes for every sport (Mr. McEnroe and Tennis comes to mind as do many basketball games)-your team not doing it would be known as a team having very high standards, but a loosing team. To bad, but that is the world we live in and I hope the Officials will be getting much tougher and hand out punishment more often when a clear fake is committed. A red card once in a while would send a message.
Ps.: Yes, I watched most games.

loose nut
07-17-2014, 04:24 PM
It happens to some degree in all sports BUUUUUTTTTT it happens an incredible amount in Futbol. It doesn't matter if the ref didn't see it and the TV audience did because it is still happening. It may fly in Europe and other places but it is one of the major reasons that Soccer has been slow to gain a following in NA. People don't like that crap here. It doesn't help that many of the teams seem to be playing a game of keep away instead of trying to get down to the opponents goal and score.

Question: Why do they call it a football pitch when no one is pitching anything????????