PDA

View Full Version : OT: 45 years ago tonight

CarlByrns
07-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Man walked on the moon.

A friend of mine is an engineer at Kodak. One day we were going through some of my family's pictures when pulled one out- a picture of my uncle's black and white TV. He said that he knew that picture had been taken July 20, 1969. He was right (my mom took it. I was just a kid but remember that night). The television was showing live feed from the Apollo 11 moon walk. He said it is generally acknowledged by photography types to be the most photographed subject ever- people took pictures of their TV set as if to confirm what they saw was really happening.

Have you ever seen something on TV so absolutely unbelievable you needed to take a picture of it?

lugnut
07-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Yep, I took photos the very thing your talking about the Moon Landing. I also bought every different newspaper I could find, I still have them.

sasquatch
07-20-2014, 08:12 PM
I remember the event for sure,, but i haven't had a TV for 30?? years now.

Weston Bye
07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Watched that at my going away party. Inducted into the Navy three days later.

lakeside53
07-20-2014, 08:38 PM
I was in high school listening on my "hidden" transistor radio - even the teacher wanted to know what was happening minute by minute!

flylo
07-20-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm 55 & remember it well, also when JFK was killed & everyone upset & crying.

Black_Moons
07-21-2014, 01:45 AM
41 years ago man stopped going back.

Old Hat
07-21-2014, 03:37 AM
I remember it. And I remember feeling OK neat, back to the treehouse.
We were going to sleep up there that night, and as kids it just didn't rate.

BUT 2004 ? Maybe, I sat up all night watching them on the computor
getting ready to hit an asteroid or comet with a slug of copper. The test shot or
something they did worked so well they went for a glansing blow to get
the best possible splash of dust and debriss.

As an adult working my life away pursuing accurate outcomes, and having
to daily comprehend potencial effect on these outcomes . . . .
I was beside myself when it came off brilliantly !! And I didn't sleep that night
I was so . . ? Pumped ? Elated ? whatever for them!

becksmachine
07-21-2014, 04:55 AM
I remember it well, at my brother's in-laws house, standard black & white portable tv sitting on top of the larger tv that didn't work. :)

The only other time that I can remember something that was as significant to me was when the first shuttle mission landed safely. I was working a 2 weeks of 12 hour shifts on a rush job, when the shout went though the shop.

Made me feel proud to be a part of that, in this country. And I am still proud to be a part of it (United States), as I do honestly think it is a better place than it was then. And certainly a better place than anywhere else on the globe.

Dave

flylo
07-21-2014, 09:15 AM
I bought a wire spray weld set up & a powder spray weld setup from a retiring fellow that had made a part on the lunar lander. Can't tell you what part or even his name but he worked for Bendix in some way. Or so he claimed.

kbertoson
07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Heard it on Armed Forces Radio. Somewhere in the Tonkin Gulf.

QSIMDO
07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Watched that at my going away party. Inducted into the Navy three days later.

And that was the day I separated off the USS Cleveland and out!
Bet I was having more fun than you. ;o)

kendall
07-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Man walked on the moon.
The television was showing live feed from the Apollo 11 moon walk. He said it is generally acknowledged by photography types to be the most photographed subject ever- people took pictures of their TV set as if to confirm what they saw was really happening.

Have you ever seen something on TV so absolutely unbelievable you needed to take a picture of it?

I've seen several things that I wanted to grab photo's of, but somehow never had the camera ready.

I was only 8 when I watched the moonwalk, but remember it vividly. Watching that is what sparked my interest in aeronautics, rocketry and astronomy.

loose nut
07-21-2014, 05:05 PM
What about all the people that claim it didn't happen???

Can a million conspiracy nuts all be wrong.

Ohio Mike
07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
I bought a wire spray weld set up & a powder spray weld setup from a retiring fellow that had made a part on the lunar lander. Can't tell you what part or even his name but he worked for Bendix in some way. Or so he claimed.

Bendix had the contract to provide the lunar surface experiments packages. In true NASA fashion it has some long acronym that I can't recall.

KMoffett
07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Saw the landing with my new wife and family then. Left for Viet Nam the next day 45 years ago...where my USAF recruiter said I would never go. :(

Ken

batt-man
07-22-2014, 05:05 AM
I wasn't even a gleam in my dads eye at the time of the apollo landings :-) but i've always enjoyed the film "the dish" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dish); a fictionalized version of how the Parkes radio telescope in Australia was recruited for relaying some of the video from the lunar lander...

Batt....

brian Rupnow
07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I was 23 years old when this event took place, and I was thrilled beyond belief. What I couldn't get my head around at the time (and even now) were the number of people who declared that it was "Flat out impossible!!!" That the entire thing had been staged by the American government somewhere in Nevada or Arizona, and no-one had reached the moon. I still hear that today sometimes.

isaac338
07-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Can a million conspiracy nuts all be wrong.

Yes.