PDA

View Full Version : Be careful driving in Switzerland

Black Forest
07-24-2014, 12:58 PM
A friend of mine just lost his driving license for 90 days and a 3500 Swiss Frank which is around $3800 for eating a piece of pizza while he was driving.

A veterinarian of ours who is Swiss lost his for 90 days and a 3000 Swiss Frank fine for following a car too close on the autoban.

Crazy about the pizza I think.

lynnl
07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Back some years ago, several times on the morning commute to work, I saw a guy driving along in dense 65mph traffic with a newspaper spread out over his steering wheel. (This was shortly before the big cell phone proliferation.)

boslab
07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Jet fighters taking off from roads is a bit offputting too!, it was a SAAB btw
Mark

Willy
07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Glad to see someone at long last is taking driving seriously. In another thread I commented about how hard it is to change the attitudes of the motoring public...well this kind of enforcement will certainly get their attention.
A lot of drivers take a relaxed view on the importance of keeping focused on the task at hand, they don't realize that the results of their actions kill thousands and injure millions.

Lynnl's story reminds me of the lady I followed into town last winter. All over the road (two lane paved highway with a lot of industrial traffic). First thing in the morning I thought perhaps a medical condition, drunk, or just sleepy in that order. I tried to get her attention by honking the horn several times only to get the one fingered salute.

She almost took out two loaded logging trucks heading her way before the highway turned into a 4 lane. When I was finally able to pass and get a good look at what was going on behind the wheel I could not believe what was causing all of the potential mayhem.
Probably the most important thing in this woman's life...a crossword puzzle!!!

George Bulliss
07-24-2014, 01:41 PM
On a nearby road a few years back, a guy was eating a pizza, choked on it and went off the road and hit a hydrant – no tickets. The fact that he was an on-duty cop may have helped with the no ticket thing.

Jaakko Fagerlund
07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
A friend of mine just lost his driving license for 90 days and a 3500 Swiss Frank which is around $3800 for eating a piece of pizza while he was driving.

A veterinarian of ours who is Swiss lost his for 90 days and a 3000 Swiss Frank fine for following a car too close on the autoban.

Nothing crazy in those. You are supposed to be driving and not playing with your mobile/food/dick/passengers tits. If you need to eat, pull over to a proper stopping place. Same goes for calling or answering your phone as well several other things.

People really forget they are in control of an average 1 ton lump of steel on wheels that will hit others if there is no concentration in driving.

CarlByrns
07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Try driving (or riding in) a tractor-trailer. You'll get to see passenger car drivers engaging in all kinds of idiotic behavior. Reading a book, putting on a tie, writing notes on a piece of paper while balancing a cell phone, texting with two phones (teenage girl), eating soup (with a spoon), rolling up some herbal nonsense, rewinding an unspooled cassette, and the ever popular "highway delight".

Highpower
07-24-2014, 05:35 PM
On a nearby road a few years back, a guy was eating a pizza, choked on it and went off the road and hit a hydrant – no tickets. The fact that he was an on-duty cop may have helped with the no ticket thing.

Sometimes even that is not enough.

On Nov. 23, 2007, Mitchell was responding to a traffic crash at more than 120 mph, emailing on his patrol car’s computer and talking to his girlfriend on his cellphone when his patrol car crossed the median on Interstate 64 near Illinois 158 and slammed into a car carrying Jessica and Kelli Uhl, who were 18 and 13.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/ex-illinois-trooper-who-killed-collinsville-sisters-in-crash-trying/article_40c3d4b6-
fbff-5362-9115-4de398229778.html (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/ex-illinois-trooper-who-killed-collinsville-sisters-in-crash-trying/article_40c3d4b6-fbff-5362-9115-4de398229778.html)

topct
07-24-2014, 06:28 PM
"highway delight".

Never heard that one. :D People don't have a clue what can be seen from that seat up there. How two people can fit behind the steering wheel is another puzzle. She has to lean over a bit so he can see around her, but somehow........

krutch
07-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Passed a step van on 95 just south of Jacksonville, Fl. in the late '90's and the driver was reading a paperback book steering with his knees. In heavy traffic, no less. I must say he was not "all over the road" but certainly not concentrating on driving.
Seen women farding while driving. Applying make-up on while piloting in morning traffic is more common than we think. Seems like there'd be more accidents.

Willy
07-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Never heard that one. :D People don't have a clue what can be seen from that seat up there. How two people can fit behind the steering wheel is another puzzle. She has to lean over a bit so he can see around her, but somehow........

This puts a whole new spin to the term of driving, LOL.

Except for doing friends a few favors now and then I'm mostly retired lately but after 42 years of holding a CDL I think I've seen just about everything. I used to carry a large block letter sign in the cab that read..GET A ROOM!

For a while I thought the only reason cars came with tilt steering was for more "head" room.

justanengineer
07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
I gotta admit Ive been "busted" for similar. Before making my daily 30 mile commute home from college a few years ago I stopped by the drive-thru for a bag of burgers only to be pulled over for eating one-handed while driving. Ironically and luckily for me, while the deputy was in the midst of his lecture he was called a block away for a traffic accident. I read in the paper that of all things, someone had run a red light while talking on their cell phone, T-boned someone, and rolled a SUV. Cant say I talk on the phone while driving unless its a special occasion AND I have the bluetooth, but I still eat and drive on decently long trips as I think most do.

The crazy/suicidal one I see around here regularly are kids (IIRC 15 is legal, ~12+ is common) on scooters going down the road while texting and riding.

Juergenwt
07-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Another thing to watch out for when driving in Germany (don't know about other countries in Europe). Do NOT show your appreciation by giving the American OK sign
(right hand forming OK). It has a completely different meaning over there - a..h...)
They will call in your license plate and you will get pulled over and fined.
Also quite often if they think you did not pull over into the right lane fast enough - they will pass you, pull right in front of you and hit the windshield washer full force to get you sprayed. Meaning - pi.. on y..
Not much you can do about it because they will swear to cleaning off the windshield.

Jaakko Fagerlund
07-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Not much you can do about it because they will swear to cleaning off the windshield.
Ah, the joy of a recording dash camera :)

Black Forest
07-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Another thing to watch out for when driving in Germany (don't know about other countries in Europe). Do NOT show your appreciation by giving the American OK sign
(right hand forming OK). It has a completely different meaning over there - a..h...)
They will call in your license plate and you will get pulled over and fined.
Also quite often if they think you did not pull over into the right lane fast enough - they will pass you, pull right in front of you and hit the windshield washer full force to get you sprayed. Meaning - pi.. on y..

I am going to ask my wife about the OK sign. I have never heard of that here. But I am American and she is German.

dian
07-25-2014, 06:07 AM
this is really weird. whenever a fine is more than several hundert franks, the case goes before the court. how would a swiss court handle a german redident? i have been fined twice for a similar offence, for using the phone and for looking at the map, when passing a police car. in both instances the fine was sfr. 100.- and not even close to loosing the licence. btw, i eat apples all the time, when driving and no fine in 35 years for that.

Black Forest
07-25-2014, 06:13 AM
this is really weird. whenever a fine is more than several hundert franks, the case goes before the court. how would a swiss court handle a german redident? i have been fined twice for a similar offence, for using the phone and for looking at the map, when passing a police car. in both instances the fine was sfr. 100.- and not even close to loosing the licence. btw, i eat apples all the time, when driving and no fine in 35 years for that.

They didn't tell me if they had to go in front of the court or not. I will ask them. They only said the fine is based on how much income they receive.

dian
07-25-2014, 07:19 AM
to put it into perspective: the largest fine a ever received was sfr. 600.-. it was for driving off from an accident. i scratched onother car with the plastic mirror, so i figured no need to stay, i gave the other party my name and phone and drove off. i didnt know, you are supposed to stay and wait for the police, if the other party wants you to. it was then interpreted as "hit and run" (serious offence) and the case went to court. so i dont know, sfr. 3'500.- for eating? wasnt there more to it?

Black Forest
07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
to put it into perspective: the largest fine a ever received was sfr. 600.-. it was for driving off from an accident. i scratched onother car with the plastic mirror, so i figured no need to stay, i gave the other party my name and phone and drove off. i didnt know, you are supposed to stay and wait for the police, if the other party wants you to. it was then interpreted as "hit and run" (serious offence) and the case went to court. so i dont know, sfr. 3'500.- for eating? wasnt there more to it?

No, no more to it than what I wrote.

Abner
07-25-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm not proud to say but at some point in my life I have engaged in a lot of less than safe behavior while driving.:o
The older I get, the more accidents I see, the more friends I loose to car wrecks, the more safe I drive. No-one likes tickets but being distracted while driving is not good. How many people in this forum would eat hot pizza while running a lathe that is not power feeding? We get too comfortable in our cars.
We had a deadly head on collision down the road a while back. Gal crossed the center line. They figured the gal was leaning over to get something that had fallen on the passenger floor. They figured this because her head was smashed into the radio. A split second decision cost her everything. The guy she hit got was hospitalized for an extended time.

vpt
07-25-2014, 09:26 AM
I can't stand stupid drivers and they are everywhere and it is getting worse!

That and stupid boaters. I spend allot of time on the water and see the very same stupidity in boats.

Look at all that lake to water ski on but yet these yahoos go back and forth well within the 150 foot barrier next to my family and I on kayaks, my youngest being 5 years old on his own yak.

http://i.imgur.com/xDBo2ta.jpg

BigBoy1
07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I can't stand stupid drivers and they are everywhere and it is getting worse!

That and stupid boaters. I spend allot of time on the water and see the very same stupidity in boats.

Look at all that lake to water ski on but yet these yahoos go back and forth well within the 150 foot barrier next to my family and I on kayaks, my youngest being 5 years old on his own yak.

http://i.imgur.com/xDBo2ta.jpg

A 12 ga. shotgun slug about 3 to 4" below the water line will get their attention!

Black_Moons
07-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Agreed. You would have to be crazy to try and eat pizza while driving, putting lives at risk just to eat food. Iv never risked anyone's life to eat. More lives are killed by inattention on the road then by terrorists.. And murderers for that matter. estimated 1.24 million traffic deaths during 2010 alone.

Sounds like ending all war on earth would have about the same effect as ending all bad driving.

vpt
07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I'll only eat hamburgers if they are wrapped in paper while driving.

lakeside53
07-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Drinking coffee while driving can't be much better, but they put in cup holders.

Same fiddling with the music system.

Jaakko Fagerlund
07-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Drinking coffee while driving can't be much better, but they put in cup holders.

Same fiddling with the music system.
The fact that there is a cup holder doesn't mean it is meant to be used when driving.

john hobdeclipe
07-26-2014, 03:54 PM

I've long wondered why people do this. What does a person possibly hope to gain by driving up close to the car in front, instead of leaving plenty of room to react / stop / evade? But I see this all the time...people driving 55, 60, 65 mph and only about 15 or 20 feet behind the car in front.

Why?

I honestly wish our law enforcement people would be more aggressive in issuing such tickets.

philbur
07-26-2014, 04:11 PM
I've long wondered why people do this. What does a person possibly hope to gain by driving up close to the car in front, instead of leaving plenty of room to react / stop / evade? But I see this all the time...people driving 55, 60, 65 mph and only about 15 or 20 feet behind the car in front.

Why?

I honestly wish our law enforcement people would be more aggressive in issuing such tickets.

Possibly preparing to overtake?

Phil:)

Jaakko Fagerlund
07-26-2014, 05:58 PM
But I see this all the time...people driving 55, 60, 65 mph and only about 15 or 20 feet behind the car in front.
Actually it would be far safer to just drive with an inch or so gap, so when the person in front of you hits brakes, it doesn't collide with much force *some dead serious smiley here* ;)

justanengineer
07-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Possibly preparing to overtake?

Thats silly tho, following close means you have less of a distance to accelerate before passing so youre stuck going slower when passing which means youre alongside someone longer, definitely a dangerous place to be.

I wish I could get folks to be 15-20' behind me when Im on the interstate, in these parts theyre usually <10'. I normally cannot see others headlights and it scares the hell outta me bc I give myself plenty of room/time to react but know they cant possibly do so following close.

lakeside53
07-26-2014, 09:45 PM
The fact that there is a cup holder doesn't mean it is meant to be used when driving.

lol

Doozer
07-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Once on the highway I saw this guy in a Chev Subrurban, 70 mph, his right foot
on the dash board, (barefoot), his left foot out the driver's window, (must have
cruise control turned on), reading a book on the steering wheel, and talking on
his cell phone, and drinking a coffee (or something).
No lie.
Never before seen anything like it.
I passed the stupid son of a bltch to get the heck away from him.
Not sure what else he could have possibly included!?!!!??

Now the passenger's feet on the dashboard I see all the time.
I think it is a North Carolina thing. They are trying to emulate the part
of the lackadaisical lifestyle. That is also why you see so many people
with personal golf carts in the south.

Ever drive through Atlanta Georgia? Those people go 80 mph and it is
6 feet between bumpers. Yes that close. And this was a 55 zone.
Being from New York I could of course handle it no problem, but man,
talk about running on the edge. Other people warned me that driving
in Atlanta was like that. I just could not fully appreciate it until I was
in it.

--Doozer

RichR
07-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Now the passenger's feet on the dashboard I see all the time.
I think it is a North Carolina thing.
No it's not, seen that around here too. Last Tuesday I was on my way to check on my friends boat, car behind me, the passenger had her feet on the dash.

mike4
07-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Well I wont be driving in Europe or the US anytime , if that is the attitude in those countries.

I have a two way radio and mobile phone in all vehicles , mandatory that they are operational or the vehicle is off the road , being able to communicate while moving between jobs is vital and no person is able to stop the use either as the phones are all hands free , the two way is never off .

Mobile use or talking on a radio is not unsafe in my view as I and others are trained to do so while driving many types of vehicles on both public roads and worksites.

Much of the larger equipment has to have constant communication with other plant and vehicles operating in the immediate vicinity or there will be serious accidents as there are some serious blind spots with big machines.

So the safety people who berate the use of communication devices need to stop and have a serious look at what they are saying.

If you cant meet those requirements then its no job and bye bye , no comeback in any way either as all people are told of the conditions of employment for each task before they start.

I can see how some of the activities that previous posters have described can and often do have deadly results .

But please have regard for those who need to talk to others as a matter of performing your work in a safe manner.

And no I dont read a paper or text message whilst operating machines , nor do I drink coffee , or eat pizza, while moving. .

Michael

fraker
07-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Personally, I think they should remove all the lack of attention safety features, like air bags everywhere and simply place a foot long spike in the centre of the steering wheel, let's see how attentive people are then.

As a motorcyclist I see and have experienced first hand peoples indifference to other road users. Maps & newspapers on steering wheels, phones, laptops and applying makeup, food, drink, you name it. the thing that riles me is, no-one, not even the police seem to care anymore.

Speed limits and traffic lights seem to be considered advisory and the indicator control switch seems to be a device to hang a mobile phone from given that no-one seems to use them anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I can scream along at stupid miles an hour too, but there's a time & place. Rush hour on a Monday morning isn't it.

My last bike accident was caused by some moron in his car, on the phone who didn't see me in front of him, waiting to enter a roundabout and I ended up on my back in the road with a 32 ton artic two feet from my head after he shunted me forward at some speed. He tried to get me to "send him the bill" turns out he had no insurance either.

terry_g
07-27-2014, 09:48 AM
I was following a SUV the other day the guy had a backup camera display mounted where the rear view mirror would normally be.
He was watching a movie while driving. Driving 20 Km below the speed limit and bumping into the curb and crossing the centre line.

I have been riding a motorcycle for the past 23 years. Distracted driving has gotten so bad here I am afraid to take the cycle on the road.

Terry

Black_Moons
07-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Well I wont be driving in Europe or the US anytime , if that is the attitude in those countries.
Mobile use or talking on a radio is not unsafe in my view as I and others are trained to do so while driving many types of vehicles on both public roads and worksites.
Much of the larger equipment has to have constant communication with other plant and vehicles operating in the immediate vicinity or there will be serious accidents as there are some serious blind spots with big machines.

Michael

You are 'trained' and talking about boring as hell work stuff and the other person is trained that if you go silent, don't ask why, just wait and repeat if needed.

You are talking about communications that improve safety, that are only used when an actual problem occurs. We are talking about communications where you yell at (or get yelled at by) your wife, distracting you for no reason just because someone couldn't wait 30 minutes to talk, by untrained people who are not skilled enough to even walk safely while on the phone.

Alistair Hosie
07-27-2014, 06:36 PM
No I am sorry there is no excuse for eating pizza and driving or telephoning, or reading etc etc etc.Have you ever seen a pile up on the motorway? They use dustbin trucks here in Scotland the kind with the rollup side doors, and shovels for scraping up the parts and I mean parts I saw a young child without any legs she was still alive but I was told she died later.It is not to be condoned sorry my 2 cent rant,I also think there should be no drinking and driving ! absolutely zero .Never mind what the drivers limit is The rules should be zero and thats it.Why do we even think this is ok? too many innocent people dying IMHO a car is as dangerous on the road as can be and I once drove behind an American lady driving down the road in front of me at about 5 miles an hour I was right behind her and there was plenty others behind me.I assumed it was car trouble as it could be nothing else,Imagine the shock everyone got when she finally stopped and got out of the car with a very small a few month old baby sitting the whole time on her knee.I told her that was illegal in Scotland and got a mouthful ,thats how I know she was American she added well you go right onb and report me then not caring a jot. AAAAAAch enough already. Alistair