PDA

View Full Version : Manual/Hand Deep Well Pumps

rws
07-29-2014, 11:37 AM
There are a few makers of hand pumps to 200 feet, so they say. What principal do they work on?

kendall
07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
They normally have a positive displacement pump down below the water level and operate by pushing the water up, the typical shallow pump works by suction and pull the water up.

Guido
07-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Reciprocating motion of a string of light weight rods, to actuate a very small positive displacement, piston type pump. Water flow rate proportional to muscle effort/time.

--G

dp
07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Here's a site that shows some interesting details regarding pump force, strokes/gallon. You are lifting the entire water column plus the sectioned rod and piston with every stroke. The direct lifting force is the weight of the water in the pump head times the number of feet of depth (I assume this means a pump stroke of 12"). The pump handle leverage is also calculated. It is about 20 strokes per gallon assuming no leaks in the casing. That means the pump capacity is 1/20 or 0.05 gallons/12" stroke, or about 0.6 lbs/foot. Multiply that by 200' and the water column weight is about 118 lbs. Add to that 200' of rod. For sake of completing the math we can estimate 10' of rod might weigh 1lb. That gives 138lbs of water column + rod weight that needs to be lifted 20 times per minute to get one gallon per minute. The pump arm leverage is maybe 1/3, so you're looking at about 45lbs/stroke.

I would have a stroke.

http://www.sunshineworks.com/deep-well-hand-pump.htm

sch
07-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Not a pump but I recall a well in W Tennesse at a dogtrot house inhabited by a pair of 80++ year olds- on the back porch about 5" in diameter pipe above which was a windlass and rope
connected to a 3' length of galvanized "stove pipe" with a valve on the bottom. "stove pipe" dropped down into well and valve opened on hitting water, filling pipe, when rope tensioned to
pull up, the pipe valve closed and ?several quarts? of water were pulled up with the windlass. Main limit on depth is rope capacity and winding time on windlass. This would have been summer
of 1968.

camdigger
07-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Hand pumps, windmill pumps, and most oilfield pumps work on the same principle. There is a pair of valves which create a variable cavity between them. The standing valve does not move but is fixed to the bottom of the pump chamber. The travelling valve is connected to the sucker rod which moves it up and down. The two valves are both check valves allowing flow up. As the chamber gets bigger as the travelling valve moves up, fluid is drawn through the lower check valve. As the pump chamber gets smaller, the standing valve closes, and the travelling valve opens allowing fluid through into the production tubing. Rinse repeat ad nauseum.

Traditionally, the valves in water pumps are sealed with leather.

ironmonger
07-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Maybe you could build something like an oil well pump with a beam, you could offset the weight of the shaft and only have to lift the water. You might also set it up to use your legs instead of your arms... all that beer ballast can now be put to good use :p

paul

fjk
07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
There are plastic/pvc pumps that use standard sch80 PVC pipe for both the pump rod and drop pipe. Since the rod is PVC it's fairly lightweight, reducing the amount of mass that has to be moved.

Frank

davidh
07-30-2014, 12:01 PM
25 years ago when I moved to this farmstead in northern Wisconsin, in a 6 foot square underground enclosure we had a "pump jack", run by a 3/4 hp electric motor, lifting 200 feet of water thru a 1-1/4" pipe. there was a windmill tower above this "pit" that was the former supplier of power for the pump. I would need to climb into it about every month and lube the ends of the wooden arms that were connected to the eccentric wheels with STP . the wooden arms were replaced about every 6 months. pita. and every couple years we pulled the whole pipe and rods out to replace the leathers in the pump itself. days work for two guys.
finally drilled a new well, submersed a nice pump and never looked back. I do still have the brass cylinder / pump that was at the bottom. . . .

rws
07-30-2014, 04:41 PM
I've been looking at you tubes about these manual pumps. Seems like there are quite a few different styles, homemade out of PVC pipe. It seems simple enough, but it would be nice to have a dimensioned drawing, and I can't find one. Anyone have such a thing?

Mister ED
07-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Keep in mind, if you have a 200' well, you are not lifting that water 200'. You are only lifting from the static water level, upwards to the highest point of the exit pipe. Also, cylinder and drop pipe diameter will make a big difference. Bigger cylinder down the hole = more water lifted per stoke (provide the same stroke length).