PDA

View Full Version : Tool Grinding Angle Chart

lugnut
07-30-2014, 05:12 PM
I was cleaning out some stuff from my work shop desk today and came across this Angle chart that I have used. I thought some of you might find it useful for grinding your lathe cutting tools. Once you get your grinding rest set to horizontal and to the prescribed hight above the center of your grinding wheel, the angle of the grind is set.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/lugnut/Scan_zpsb27cd3a1.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lugnut/media/Scan_zpsb27cd3a1.jpeg.html)

danlb
07-30-2014, 09:17 PM
That's pretty neat. Thanks.

CCWKen
07-30-2014, 09:26 PM
It's not really a true angle since it will have the radius of the wheel beyond the plane of the angle. Also, it's safer if you move below the centerline instead of above.

firbikrhd1
07-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Thank you!

lugnut
07-30-2014, 09:45 PM
So, CCWKen, there are some of us true HOME SHOP MACHINISTS who are not NANO freaks. The chart will work just fine for us who don't have Nano instruments and want to enjoy what we do.;)

cameron
07-30-2014, 11:05 PM
It's not really a true angle since it will have the radius of the wheel beyond the plane of the angle. Also, it's safer if you move below the centerline instead of above.

Why is it safer if you're below the centerline rather than above? If you're grinding the same angle on the tool, the relative position of the tool to the wheel is exactly the same, regardless of height.

Boucher
07-30-2014, 11:19 PM
If it grabs the wheel above center it digs in. If it is below center it is free to move. The really important thing is to have the table adjusted close to the wheel so this can,t happen.

lugnut
07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I have always read not to make climbing cuts with a milling machine, why would it not be the same with a grinding wheel ?

bdarin
07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Informative picture, but gross!

MrSleepy
07-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Not a picture I'd like to see first thing in the morning. Similar to that poor chap who got dragged head first in to a lathe and was spun until he looked very different.

Paul Alciatore
08-01-2014, 02:37 PM
If it grabs the wheel above center it digs in. If it is below center it is free to move. The really important thing is to have the table adjusted close to the wheel so this can,t happen.

Oh, I can agree with having the table close to the wheel, but is it really safer below than above? I would think if you are below it would be a lot more likely for the tool to be dragged toward the wheel and flip into the gap and perhaps shatter the wheel. On top it would be almost impossible for it to do that. Or at least, a lot less likely. The wheel's motion would be pushing it away from the gap, not into it as is the case if it were below the center.

lugnut
08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Paul thanks for your post. I was beginning to think I had missed something about grinding. I built one of Mr Ishimura's grinding tables right after I got my lathe and it works great with the chart I posted. Here is a link to the table.http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/grinder_guide/grinding_rest-e.htm
I sure miss his posts. Wish he would start posting again.