PDA

View Full Version : Digital Display

Docgera
08-07-2001, 06:57 PM
Is there any experience with the canadian CBX System (star-techno.com) digital displays in asian mill-drills?. I have a lot of trouble reading dials and would like to know if these less expensive displays works.

------------------
Dr. Gerardo

bdarin
08-07-2001, 10:42 PM
I have a CBX 3-axis system on my Jet JMD-15 mill-drill. Works great. Had to make some modifications on the machine to get all the transducers hooked up, but I've been using for over a year know with excellent results. Is accurate to .0005" (last digit is 0 or 5). Had a problem with one transducer once and they just sent me a replacement, told me to send back the bad one when I got to it. No charge. They're geat people to work with and I'm happy with unit.

SGW
08-08-2001, 07:17 AM
They do work well, but don't confuse the displayed accuracy with the actual accuracy. I got one a couple of years ago and spent quite a bit of time testing it with a set of laboratory gage blocks. I think that more realistically one can count on +/- .001" rather than +/- .0005". For a lot of the travel, it really was +/- .0005", or better, but every so often along the travel I'd find a spot where the error was significantly larger. Since I wanted true half thou accuracy, everywhere, I ended up sending mine back.

It is a pretty good unit, even so, and if you can live with the level of accuracy it does have, it's certainly worth a serious look. For the price, I don't know of anything else.

I may be excessively picky, and as I said, for most of the travel it was really good. Even when it was "off" it wasn't off by much.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 08-08-2001).]

Docgera
08-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Thanks Bdaring and SGW for your advise, I think it's worth the effort to buy it
Docgera

BigDave
08-11-2001, 12:27 PM
Doc, you must mean the below displays:

http://star-techno.com/images/montage2.gif

Docgera
08-13-2001, 11:33 AM
Yes, that's the one I mean