PDA

View Full Version : Weird lighting

Horst
08-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I bought two 4’-2 bulb fluorescent light fixtures, about a year apart, from a local lighting outfit (no HD). They are the same brand and are identical as far as I can tell with the exception of the bulb’s K rating. The second fixture does not illuminate immediately when the switch is thrown but takes about a 2-count. It is annoying. Does anyone know why this is happening?

boslab
08-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Your starter is dying, or change to an electronic one, least thats what happens to my lights!
Mark

Rosco-P
08-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Flouro fixtures have been rapid start (no starters) in the US for over 20 years. Try swapping one bulb at a time between fixtures. See if the problem follows the bulb. If not, could be you have a ballast thats starting to go.

Old Hat
08-11-2014, 01:15 PM
They say it all starts in Cali !
Maybe the paradime shift has started, right in your shop!

MrSleepy
08-11-2014, 01:25 PM

I don't think Freddie Beauregard is in his shop... or were you trying to spell paradigm.

Mr Fixit
08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
You said that the fixtures look the same bet the ballasts may be different. The older one has a rapid or instant start ballast and the newer one may have a program start ballast which does act like you described. Only solution is to change the ballast out in the newer fixture to a instant start.

Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)

A.K. Boomer
08-11-2014, 05:02 PM

When you say "old hat" does that by any chance involve aluminum foil?

macona
08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
They probably switched to a programmed start ballast from an instant start. Programmed start is better if you turn it on and off a lot.

Horst
08-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone; I'll check it out.