PDA

View Full Version : ??? a Cincinnatti BridgePort ??? LoL

Old Hat
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Never ever saw such an animal before?
I hope to never need one again, but maybe T!Ts for the right Home Guy!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cincinnati-Variable-Speed-10-x-42-Vertical-Knee-Milling-Machine-w-Power-Feed-/121096326494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31e74d5e

I dub thee >FrankenPort<
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYyWDY0Mw==/z/fNwAAOxy9DRR-nwr/$(KGrHqRHJ!4FH)G37kuDBR-nwrhUk!~~60_57.JPG

Ohio Mike
08-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Cincinnati's answer to the Bridgeport, the Toolmaster turret mill. However this one has been fitted with a Tree milling head.

Doozer
08-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Yep, that's what it is. Toolmasters are around, not all that uncommon.
Some guys like the French made version, not sure the reason for that.
Tree heads have ball splines on the spindle for zero backlash. A nice
feature to prevent chatter.
--Doozer

Old Hat
08-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Tree heads have ball splines on the spindle for zero backlash. A nice
feature to prevent chatter.
--Doozer

A Tree head back then was a an Instrument as far as many Tool-makers were concerned.
No visual reference for quill depth, but when you hit bottom it WAS BOTTOM.
Great for molds and gage-work where depths matter more.

The trouble was in that, if you tangle one up much, the spindle could suffer.
I've had to st8'n out two, and give up on two. Ruffing machine they were after that.

If yer used to a B/P go easy on a Tree.

Oh!
The feed clutch was much better too. Than a BridgePort's .
And who couldn't luv cutter swapping without haveing to clear the
Fencepost that's called an R8 collet.

big job
08-18-2014, 05:37 AM
I think that is kind of like mixing the best of two worlds. I operate Cincinnatis with all the options. I like the Bridgeport
fine feed quill hand wheel / Cincys do not. I like the Cinny quill feed clutch, Bridgeys do not. Cincys are noted for being rock
solid, Bridgys are good. Its like taking a Lincoln, Caddilac, and a Packard, and mix em in a big pot =equils a super machine lol
And then I'm not a big fan of the R8 system, although cheaper, I like the Cinncinatti system quick and easy although again
these collets are expensive (and not popular either)

just a ramblin out loud sam

boslab
08-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Must admit my baby is a french toolmaster with a slotter on the arse end of the ram, it is built like a battleship, the quill taper is a 40 so big ol cutters arent a problem, not at all sure what to say about the alternate head, cant find much wrong with the original varispeed, the tapping function is clever but the odd table traverse gets funny sometimes, the table moves like a manual surface grinder, without the power feeds it will kill you moving all that iron about!
I love them though, we had a bloody big hydra in the materials test house at work for cutting tensile test peices from heavy plate, the thing wasnt built like a battleship it was one, Missouri was painted on the side!
Mark

gzig5
08-19-2014, 10:29 AM
I've got a Tree head on my Index Model 40. I think it is a great piece of machinery and a big step up from the original index head. Tool changes are very fast, automatic quill feed is smooth and easy to adjust. The quill depth indication is on the quill handle. The only down side I see with mine is there is no apparent way to attach a horizontal adapter, which I would find useful. I'd take a Tree mill over a BP any day.