PDA

View Full Version : Heat Treat Oven ID Help Please.............

JoeLee
08-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Back when I worked in the tool room at a local factory they had a small oven that we used for heat treating parts. I can't remember the make.
It was stainless on the out side, about 14" wide x 14" high and it had a meter on the bottom that read the oven temp. Any one have any idea who this may have been made by??

JL.................

38_Cal
08-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Joe, I can't help directly on the heat treat oven, but one with a similar case construction is at Brownells, as their #100-004-956, made by Evenheat Kilns. I had a chance to look at one at the local Community College's new Gunsmithing department...very impressive unit!

David

Bob Ford
08-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Joe,
I have owned and used a Evenheat KF 13.5 for about 5 years. It has been a very good unit. Actions, reamers, tapes, and dies. Big enough to do what I need.
Bob

JoeLee
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Most of the ones I've seen are the top loading style like used for firing pottery. The one we had at the shop was a front load type. But I guess any one of the styles would do the job.

JL...............

garyhlucas
08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
There is one advertised in Home Shop Machinist. Imagine that!

Rich Carlstedt
08-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Joe
A popular small furnace was made by
Blue Island
and they were located in Blue Island Illinois as i recall

Rich

jim davies
08-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I have a Blue M front loading oven of a good size. Bought off Ebay. They seem to have
made many sizes.

JoeLee
08-20-2014, 11:28 AM
The Blue M looks like what I want. I have to pay close attention to the temp. ranges as some of them only go up to 500 degrees.
I see some with vacuum features or ability to be purged with inert gas. That's nice too.

JL............

Rich Carlstedt
08-20-2014, 02:20 PM
My furnace which is like your request goes to 2000 degrees.
At one time, I had an unlimited supply of argon from a friend that used tanks until the pressure was 50 PSI or so and then discarded (returned for filling)
I drilled a small hole at the back of the furnace , put a huge gauge (Inches) ,regulator and needle valve on tank and piped in inert gas.
The door was a pretty close fit, but did vent and I would would start the furnace and gas and then crack the needle valve and hold a lit match next to the door. When the match went out I knew I was pressurized. recheck the match, and then left to heat. As the furnace heated up, you could turn down the needle if you wanted.
Worked superbly

Rich

plunger
08-20-2014, 04:59 PM
What is the gas for

RichR
08-20-2014, 05:08 PM
To displace the oxygen, and possibly the nitrogen.

plunger
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Without trying to hijack this thread is it as easy as blasting a bit of argon or co2 into the oven.?Do you think 850celcius is good enough for most homeshop heat treat applications?

macona
08-20-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a Vulcan that opens from the front.

850 is a bit low.

CO2 is NOT inert. It will effect changes in the material being cooked. You can get little stainless bags to put parts in to seal them up. Put a piece of paper in with the bag and the paper burning will absorb the remaining O2.

JoeLee
08-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Without trying to hijack this thread is it as easy as blasting a bit of argon or co2 into the oven.?Do you think 850celcius is good enough for most homeshop heat treat applications?I think 850 is a little on the low side. I would also purge with argon rather than C02.
If the furnace isn't equipped with any type of fitting for inert gas would it be possible to put a fitting somewhere on it???
Would you also need a vent hole in the furnace for the gas to flow out of so you can have a continuous flow or is that not necessary ??
I wouldn't want to try to pull a vacuum as the door may not be air tight and drawing in out side atmosphere would only make matters worse.

JL...............